The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current bike is failing fast. I will try and repack the bearings but I think she's a goner.

Who's using what and how happy are you with it?

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Pretty sure the brand our local YMCA uses is Technogym. I like the stationary bikes (and various weight machines). There are a couple styles of bikes there, I prefer the one that can be adjusted to a sort of recumbent posture.

Gym Equipment & Fitness Solutions

I have a Pro-Form brand stationary bike at home that doesn't get used because I have the Y membership. It's okay but it needs the electronics replaced (I have the parts) but I haven't got around to it. I might end up giving it away. I wish the thing took up less space.

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I have a Schwinn AC spin bike that works just great, monster flywheel and very smooth. 5 hours a week for several years and zero issues. It is noisy, however. Got it at fitness depot, was about 1500 but I think the new models are a bit more.

P

·
0 Posts
I got a really nice recumbent with full display/controls and wireless heart monitor... at my local dump. The dump guy said the town building inspect dropped it off because it was blocking his hallway. I had to buy an adapter because it was 9v 2000 mA, and I had nothing that high. That cost $20.

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
another vote for an indoor trainer.
I personally have a LifeCycle recumbent bike that I enjoy. Its an older one a fitness club was getting rid of for something newer. nice thing about it is, its well made, parts and service are readily available. I find recumbents much more comfortable.
truth is though, it doesn't get as much use anymore as our Precor elliptical.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input so far. I ride outside during the summer and have owned a mount adapter thingie before. It used air resistance and was very noisy.

I did repack the front bearings last night on the old bike but discovered that it's the flywheel bearings that are bad - and they are not serviceable so the bike is definitely on it's way out.

I looked at an indoor trainer last night and it'd be great for me but I'm trying for something that might encourage Maggs to start using it too. As a result I'm taking a close look at the Schwinn 170 Schwinn 170 Upright Bike, Exercise Bikes - Amazon Canada
It reviews well and will support four different riders and the price seems ok.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Too bad you weren't closer to Ottawa. I have actual Schwinn Spin Bike that I no longer use. I don't train indoors as much, and prefer to use a rear wheel trainer or rollers anyways. BTW magnetic ones are much quieter.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Do you ride bikes outside of the house during summer? One fellow at work here does and puts his bike on an indoor bike trainer during the winter:
These are a good idea if you are a regular cyclist.
I had big plans when I bought one a few years ago to do a ton of indoor training. Turns out the supreme boredom of riding stationary, inside the house and no other distractions - like scenery - caused me to maybe use it 10 times before I couldn't stomach it any more.

I thought perhaps these things should come with a loaded hand gun so you could put yourself out of your misery.

·
Registered
719 Posts
These are a good idea if you are a regular cyclist.
I had big plans when I bought one a few years ago to do a ton of indoor training. Turns out the supreme boredom of riding stationary, inside the house and no other distractions - like scenery - caused me to maybe use it 10 times before I couldn't stomach it any more.

I thought perhaps these things should come with a loaded hand gun so you could put yourself out of your misery.
"Netflix"

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
"Netflix"
preach. a tv in an exercise room is a must IMO. esp now that they at so cheap. even if you don't have cable in there, you can stream from your phone or connect a cheap dvd player to it and catch up on a series.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a buddy who set up in his workshop with just a radio, nothing else. Don't know how he does it. When I ride I approach it more as going for a ride while I binge watch TV rather than watching TV while I ride, but I totally get how much of a grind it can be.

If you are really looking for the cycling aspect, there are some pretty cool VR (not real Oculus Rift VR) type trainers with both real and animated videos of actual rides (Computrainer, Tacx) that you follow along with and the resistance changes with the terrain etc. but they aren't cheap.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Yea, some of those new tech virtual riders look pretty cool. Still a little pricey from what I've seen.

I've got a couple of trainers I use with my road bike (just not nearly enough .... ). I got one that the bike clamps into so I can mindlessly spin and watch tele, and I've got a set of rollers that are truly an adventure with every mount/dismount. It's amazing how quickly those little wheels quit spinning without the mass/inertia of our weight moving forward. And without spin, there is no centrifugal force, keeping us upright. No concentrating on anything but riding on one of those.

the only excersise bike you'll rver need:

Yea, I see quite a few guys with that 'exercise routine'.

upload_2017-12-8_9-57-18.jpeg

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yeah, for most people that would work. Cycling is too dynamic for me to reduce it to something to watch shows from.
I know what you mean. I like to jump curbs and ride up and down the hills. Stationary bikes ruin the fun of real bikes for me.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
If you are really looking for the cycling aspect, there are some pretty cool VR (not real Oculus Rift VR) type trainers with both real and animated videos of actual rides (Computrainer, Tacx) that you follow along with and the resistance changes with the terrain etc. but they aren't cheap.
They have a few of those at my local YMCA. I haven't tried them. The atmosphere and exercising is enough to keep me focused. I see so many people with cell phones and ear buds while at the gym. I don't know how they do it.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Yea, I see quite a few guys with that 'exercise routine'.
that belly says "i make enough money to eat more than i should." as i remember being too poor to be fat, i rock my belly proudly. even if more of it is incisional hernia than actual fat

1 - 20 of 27 Posts