The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a neck through the body guitar over set neck?

I always assumed the tone would be better and the construction more solid, but very few guitars, even higher end ones, are neck through the body.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Neckthru offers better upper fret access, the ability to have way more frets, a deeper tone, and a stronger neck. It used to be something only available on high end stuff, but has become common on even low end guitars today. Most high end guitars from BC Rich, Jackson, ESP, etc are neckthru.............

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Curious. Which low-end brands/models offer the neck-through option? I'd love to check some out.

I imagine that a solid one-piece offers strength and imparts a strong, consistent tone. However, many well-crafted guitars (even some with bolt-on necks) are manufactured to such rigorous tolerances that vibration can extremelly minimal, even negligible. In which case other significant ariables come into play, like the nature of the wood itself, the kind of finish/sealants used, the pickups themselves... it's a complex thing.

I like neck-throughs because accessing the upper fretwork is often easier. Often but not always. You can get smoother heels where the neck joins the body, and that can make a nice difference. But in the end, I like all sorts of guitars; neck through is just another in a wild array of options.

I

·
0 Posts
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a neck through the body guitar over set neck?
I'll add to the heel comments: definitely easier to get access to the upper frets on a neck-thru.

Disadvantages? If you ever need to make an adjustment to the neck that can't be done with just a truss rod tweak your out of luck with a neck-thru. It's major surgery on a set-in but it can be done. And it's pretty straight foward on a bolt-on to shim a neck.

Curious. Which low-end brands/models offer the neck-through option? I'd love to check some out.
Schecter's C1 Classic is neck-thru and under a $1000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

I'm looking at options for a custom built.

It's going to be more of a les paul/prs kind of design (2 buckers) - I play mostly bluesy/rock type stuff.

Any recomendations on woods for the neck/sides?

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
The most popular combination for neck thrus is maple neck thru and poplar wings. If youre worried about neck twisting, you can get multi ply necks which are super strong. Out of all my neckthrus I have never had neck problems other than from abuse, but its yet to cause any problems. Ibanez also offers some low end RGT neckthrus, as does Jackson with their SLSMG...........

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the input.

It's going to be more of a les paul/prs kind of design (2 buckers) - I play mostly bluesy/rock type stuff.

Neck throughs have a tighter more focussed tone. Great for high gain. Its not "better" just different.

I have a custom built explorer with 2 humbuckers and PRS scale if you're interested. Set-neck, brazilian RW fingerboard, mahogany neck/body. I'm located a few minutes outside of St. Catharines.

·
Registered
698 Posts
BC Rich is also offering some low cost import neck-thru models (the Warlock & Mockingbird). Around $650 CAD. Might not be what you're looking for though. I haven't played one so I don't know about quality. They've also introduced some neck-thrus in their mid-level models, but probably in the same ball park as the import ESP/LTD neck-thru & set-thru models ($1200-1400).

The neck-thru Schecters have been catching my eye for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I think MusicYo still ship out some low end neckthrus............

·
Premium Member
16,967 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Carvin it up! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts