The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a total electric noob and was checking out an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. A budy of mine has one given to him as a gift a while back that literally has less than 1/2 hr playing time on it (28 min, me, this morning. Lol).

Anyhow, as a complete electric noob, I noticed the neck was sticky. Extremely sticky.

Is this something specific to brand? A characteristic of all electrics? Something that goes away?

Any input would be appreciated as I can get this guitar from him for almost free but if this is a persistent issue, I wonder if it would be worth it at all.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Some guitars are like this when new. Usually either using it, or sometimes lightly buffing it with 000 steel wool helps. I prefer unfinished necks for this reason. Those are decent guitars to just play around on and if it's almost free it's worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
Yes, just take the shine off it and make it a matte finish. Cheezy recommends the Scotchbrite pad over the steel wool because of the chance of getting steel particles adhering to the magnetic pickups and other parts of the guitar.

*See, Cheezy, I was listening.:)

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I'd try polishing compound. Followed by swirl remover and wax.

If you are going to use a 3M pad, brown is coarse, green medium, white fine. White is for polishing.

Reactions: geetaruke and jdto

·
Premium Member
10,224 Posts
Fine sandpaper, 600 or even 1000, lightly applied. Takes off very little finish, can do as much or as little sanding as you need. Similar to the other methods really, can be redone if it gets sticky again but generally it will be a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.