The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Teisco tulip style guitar coming, body only. According to the seller the neck pocket may be too narrow for modern necks.

Any ideas on the best way to trim a couple millimeters off both sidewalls to fit a neck, IF I have to.

Also what is a way to remove wood to add more depth to the pocket IF I have to.

I dont have a router or router table.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
The old fashioned way. File, rasp, and sandpaper. If its more than a few mm then chisel.

Personally id rent or borrow a router if i were you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not that skilled with a router, and would hate to gouge the body.

I like the idea of the rasp/sand paper or chisel route.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
use a chisel like a scraper. Ie. no hammer

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
The sides are one thing, but what about the scale length of the neck? Be sure you know the scale length of the neck you want to use, and holding it in place on the body, measure from the nut to the bridge - make sure this measurement is very close to your neck's scale length.

If needed you can always sink the neck deeper in the body. It's hard to add spacers to in the pocket to space the neck out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sides are one thing, but what about the scale length of the neck? Be sure you know the scale length of the neck you want to use, and holding it in place on the body, measure from the nut to the bridge - make sure this measurement is very close to your neck's scale length.

If needed you can always sink the neck deeper in the body. It's hard to add spacers to in the pocket to space the neck out.
Thanks. I know about scale length and how to calculate it.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I'm going to buck the trend here.... and suggest, don't try this without using a router and a proper template. Especially if you need to make the neck pocket deeper.... its one thing to sand the sides of the pocket (which - you need to be REALLY careful with, and you are bound to end up with the side of the neck pocket 'curved' instead of straight) - its another thing to make the pocket deeper.

If you don't have a router / template / skill, bring it to someone who does. I don't think Hinton is anywhere near me.... but if it was, I would volunteer to do this for free for you. Its literally a 5 minute job with the proper tools (if the body is already stripped of all hardware / electronics that is....)

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
I agree with @Ary Guitars, you cannot attack a neck pocket with a router unless you are using some sort of neck template. It will will be a disaster.
I'd be more than happy to help you out too (for free of course). I don't how often you make it into Edmonton, but I'm only another 15 minutes north east. Wait till the body shows up, who knows, maybe it will fit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with @Ary Guitars, you cannot attack a neck pocket with a router unless you are using some sort of neck template. It will will be a disaster.
I'd be more than happy to help you out too (for free of course). I don't how often you make it into Edmonton, but I'm only another 15 minutes north east. Wait till the body shows up, who knows, maybe it will fit.
I go into Edmonton often. Every 10 days to fly up North for work. We can arrange to meet?

Thanks

Curt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts