The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy to see someone else reading my mind in the other post...but mine is a little different.
So after some upgrades/purchases, I realized I have an awesome pile of strat PUs, full trem and wiring harness just sitting here, and I figure it's time to put something together I can call my own.

I've got a line on a great MJT strat body, but the neck that has everything I'm dying for (here on GC) is a Tele neck. I don't care about the headstock difference, but I know Tele neck is squared off. As I understand it, the centre/deepest point of both necks are the same, so I'd just have to take out the corners of the neck pocket to fit the Tele neck and it doesn't mess with scale length.

Doesn't look too hard, but lots of people get in trouble saying those words (including my wife). Any real life advice? Just chisel the corners out a bit as needed? The rest of the dimensions should be all right, and I'm not too fussy if I end up with a little too much gap somewhere.
TKS!

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh...Never thought that way for some reason. I've got access to a belt sander which should make things fairly straightforward. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
What’s your location?

Anyone with a router and tele neck pocket template can do that in under a half hour.

I’m just outside Peterborough if you’re close by.
I’m home for as long as the kids are out of school.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer Nathan, but I’m a couple thousand Kms west of there. I’ve got a router for Xmas one year but never been taken out of the box.
Maybe time to play around with it a bit. I love Ron Kirn’s trick of counter sinking the neck plate too!... Maybe I’ll round the neck, see how that goes and maybe try the router after.
Tks

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
I would leave the neck alone, just because you are going to lose a bunch of the finish off the sides of the neck as you blend it into the strat shape. & If the neck is any sort of amber tone, it can drive you crazy trying to match it. I would rather use a tele neck template on the body and route it into the tele shape. I'd be more than happy to give you a hand if you'd like to venture out to Fort Sask. someday.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I've read you can make it fit, but it won't intonate properly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts