The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to put my new 1 7/8" neck in my telecaster. Obviously, the neck is wider than the neck pocket. What method do you suggest to trim the neck down so it fits in the neck pocket? You might provide a link you've found but I have already looked at most of them. I do want to trim the neck and not the neck pocket. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
Belt or disk sander, anchored down somewhere you can hold the neck down on a flat surface so you can keep everything trued. Obviously you want 90 degree angles pretty important. Rough in to close measurements, finish by hand with a block sander.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A cnc router would work well.
Yes, it would great. Do you have one you can lend me and do I drive down there or are you coming up here?;)

Belt or disk sander, anchored down somewhere you can hold the neck down on a flat surface so you can keep everything trued. Obviously you want 90 degree angles pretty important. Rough in to close measurements, finish by hand with a block sander.
That's an Idea I never thought of. I don't know if I could hold it steady enough but If I clamped blocks around it as a guide that might just work.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Yes, it would great. Do you have one you can lend me and do I drive down there or are you coming up here?;)

That's an Idea I never thought of. I don't know if I could hold it steady enough but If I clamped blocks around it as a guide that might just work.
Just have one sent south of the border, there's probably a coupon for one somewhere.
If all else fails, trace your neck onto a piece of mdf or something, cut it with a band saw, and use it as a router template.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just have one sent south of the border, there's probably a coupon for one somewhere.
If all else fails, trace your neck onto a piece of mdf or something, cut it with a band saw, and use it as a router template.
Good idea. I was thinking about using a cutting bit but I have a router and a router guide. I think that is the best route and the safefest for me. I only need to take off about 1/8-3/16" on each side.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I really didn't realize people had been talking about sanding down the neck to fit in said pocket. bad people. bad.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is true. You could widen the pocket.
I would prefer to sand down the neck, even though, sanding down the neck pocket would likely be easier. In researching this, people's opinion of whether sanding down the neck or widening the neck pocket were about 50/50.with many of them being adamant their choice was the best.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
I would say for me it would depend what I spent on what, I would likely be making the change to whichever was cheaper to replace.
Anyway, just widen the neck pocket, I checked with myself, and I said that was the correct answer.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would say for me it would depend what I spent on what, I would likely be making the change to whichever was cheaper to replace.
Anyway, just widen the neck pocket, I checked with myself, and I said that was the correct answer.
In this case, I think it makes more sense to sand down the neck. One of the reasons for this is there is not a lot of neck pocket on the one side and taking off another 3/16" will really remove a lot of the pocket on that one side. The other reason is that using he router, it will be easier for me to remove materiel from the neck.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
In this case, I think it makes more sense to sand down the neck. One of the reasons for this is there is not a lot of neck pocket on the one side and taking off another 3/16" will really remove a lot of the pocket on that one side. The other reason is that using he router, it will be easier for me to remove materiel from the neck.
well if you are going to sand the neck maybe don't use a router, maybe use a belt sander?
OR just freehand use the router on the end of the neck. You will probably make a cool design, and only ruin it mostly.

·
Premium Member
17,375 Posts
Has this guitar been sent to the usa for a quick and affordable fix yet?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts