The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with neck dive? Are there any non-destructive modifications that can be made to improve the situation?

Chris

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Starting with a thicker non-nylon strap would be my first choice.

You could always try adding mass to the instrument, like a heavier bridge.
What I did once on a neck diving Ibanez was to move the strap buttons a little bit to change the balance point. I don't know how destructive you would consider that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You could do what Leo thought was a good idea back in the 50's and add a strap button to the back of the headstock. My '57 Precision copy has this although I've never tried it.

jake

·
Registered
97 Posts
sometimes a slight spacer between the top horn and strap button can help. ideally you want to get your strap closer to the 12'th fret. that, a wider strap (as mentioned) some stick on wheel weights added in the control cavity can all help. what type of bass is it? if it's an asat style, there are strap extenders that bolt to the existing neck bolt pattern you can purchase too...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Returned the bass...

Instead of trying to "polish a turd," I returned the bass. It really wasn't special enough for me to try messing around with it.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lester B. Flat said:
You could also tie helium filled ballons to your headstock!:D
Holy crap, you could actually have something there!!!!

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts