The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all

Some of you may know that I'm shopping for my first electric axe. I've read all kinds of things on the net and at HC about the three different types of necks: bolt-on, set/glued, and through-necks (I'll ignore the "born to rock" guitar neck, as it's just too weird for me, and I'm not likely to get that axe, anyway, for budget reasons).

I'm interested in hearing about any problems/experiences people have had with a particular type of neck: warping, adjustment, servicing difficulties, spontaneous collapse, LOL, whatever...

I find myself attracted to bolt-ons just for future ease of maintenance and neck changing, but that's just the engineer in me talking :wink: However, I find some neck-through jobs jaw-droppingly beautiful (i.e. Ibanez Prestige I recently tried).

grazias...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've never noticed any specific problems that have been linked to certain necks. After you pass a certain point in guitar quality, I think any problems have more to do with how the guitar is maintained and treated.

·
Registered
260 Posts
What is a born to rock neck ?

But yeah , liek the other guy said . If you buy a quality guitar , you shouldn't have any problems with the neck . It's a lot more of a feel thing and playability...If you play a lot on the higher frets , you should consider those ibanez .

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've never changed a neck. I have set neck and bolt on guitars.

I love my Les Paul. I also love my Tele. Find one you like and buy it.

I don't know about Rock necks, I hate shred type wizard necks. That's just me though. check them all out and decide for your self.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bolt on necks are always nice because yes, they give you the ease of being able to change necks, but at the same tim, if it is tone quality you are going for, the Neck-thru design is my favorite. But it all depends on what your budget is, because a neck-thru will cost you a bit more.:rockon2:

·
Registered
319 Posts
5 neck types

Actaually there are 5 types of necks

Bolt On=if you damage your neck easy to replace, hunky heel though
Bolt In=heel is bolted into the body
Neck Through=great sustain, pickups and bridge are on the neck, but if you damage it??
Set Neck= Les Pauls and such, glue doesnt transfer sound well and expensive to fix, and they do break easy
Deep Set Neck Tenon= like above but more wood is anchored in the body so better road worthiness and sustain
Hope this helps
Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those who are curious: http://www.borntorock.com/works.html

The only reason I even know about it is because my guitar hero Denis d'Amour (Piggy of Voivod) was using one of these. But I've seen the F4C going for about $2300.00 US, so that is far out of my price range. Besides, I'm not into these "frame" guitars, like the Yamaha SLG-100N...

Okay, thanks, all... I just wanted some general pointers. I wouldn't expect to have problems with a neck on a $1000.00 guitar, but you never know sometimes.

Anyone happen to know if SG's have a conventional glued-in neck or deep-set? :smile:

·
Registered
788 Posts
The only types of guitars that I've seen problems that could not be fixed where on pointy headstocks like jackson/charvel where they would warp sideways towards the high "E".
I think you should grab any guitar you like because there is only a very slight chance that you will have problems that are beyond repair.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
If you get a quality guitar I don't think you need be concerned with neck replacement. It's a pretty rare occurance. If you get a cheap guitar, you'd probably just get another than replace the neck anyway.

Bolt ons - think Fender
Set necks - think Gibson

I think the more important question for you is shape and thickness of the neck for your own comfort and playability. I find a different size neck can make me play slightly differently (sometimes change is a good thing), I also find a thin neck (for me anyway) can make my hand start to cramp up during a long gig.

My preferred neck is a mid to heavy '59 Les Paul profile, leaning towards the '58, even though I have pretty small hands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts