The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm wondering if it's possible to add a carve to the neck/heel area once the guitar is built. This is it is currently.

I can play at the upper frets fine, it's still not as comfortable as it could be. And, since there's constant repetition when learning solos, it actually starts to bug me.

I just want to take a disk grinder to it.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 9.16.16 AM.png

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Do you have a pic of what you want it to look like, and is the finish nitro or some type of poly... long story short, if you're removing wood and the finish is lacquer then the answer is yes.

·
Registered
662 Posts
As Jimmy_D said above, if the finish is poly, the chances of being able to hide the work as a professional looking job aren't very good.

Each coat of nitro melts into the previous coat, poly does not. If I were sculpting the pocket on a set neck poly guitar, I would go into it assuming a full refinish is needed to make the guitar look professionally done.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
I know that feel @adcandour .

I think that, considering where the wood needs to be removed to make it more comfortable (namely, the square edge of the body inside the cuttaway), that it would not affect the structural integrity of the neck. The tenon is only like 1=1.5" in cross section on the top side of the neck (as far away from the back of the body as possible). If there is a concern after removing some wood, there are a number of ways it could be reinforced.

The real issue, as mentioned, is the finish.

·
Registered
10,018 Posts
The nature of the LP. Perhaps an SG would be useful - at least for practicing ............. oops, I believe you said in another thread that you were done buying :rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
I'd look for a inexpensive Epi (or whatever) on kijiji and do a 'trial and error'.
Don't worry about the finish, make it playable first.
If you go this route, post it please.
I was thinking the same thoughts myself.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a pic of what you want it to look like, and is the finish nitro or some type of poly... long story short, if you're removing wood and the finish is lacquer then the answer is yes.
No, I don't have anything in mind. It doesn't have to be pretty either (this is my forever guitar). Also, I won't put finish on it afterward, since I don't like the feel (probably just tru oil and wax).

Here's what I think I could get away with removing, although, tbh, I feel like I need to take more. Obviously, I would remove and test in increments.

Screenshot_2017-03-28-10-54-03-1_resized_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
If I come to Barrie I'll bring big blue and you can see if its worthwhile to do the work. I think she has the heel you're thinking of. Not quite the LP axxess but in that ballpark.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd look for a inexpensive Epi (or whatever) on kijiji and do a 'trial and error'.
Don't worry about the finish, make it playable first.
If you go this route, post it please.
I was thinking the same thoughts myself.
I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm not concerned about the finish at all - you can already see something has smacked the neck heel.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I come to Barrie I'll bring big blue and you can see if its worthwhile to do the work. I think she has the heel you're thinking of. Not quite the LP axxess but in that ballpark.
Not sure I can wait that long :)

I'm learning eruption at the moment, and getting pretty frustrated. I just played the guitar now, and I think just getting rid of the squareness would help a lot. It's poking into my palm, so I think even a subtle change could help.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The horn doesn't bug me.

That's a crazy carve on the first pic. I'd be afraid to take that much away.

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
Are you playing sitting down or standing up?

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
Get out the rasp and hack away until yer happy, sez I. I've often done DIY where I didn't quite know what I was doing, with satisfactory results and the occasional OH SHAT WHAT WAS I THINKING. I don't believe this would turn into one of those.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
No, I don't have anything in mind. It doesn't have to be pretty either (this is my forever guitar). Also, I won't put finish on it afterward, since I don't like the feel (probably just tru oil and wax).

Here's what I think I could get away with removing, although, tbh, I feel like I need to take more. Obviously, I would remove and test in increments.

View attachment 74825
I think that would be safe (structurally) and you could actually get away with a bit more than that even (on the body, not the neck heel; maybe not much deeper, but longer towards the butt end).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts