The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Picked up this sweet little 12-fretter basically sight unseen for a song. It's a cannon! All solid wood.

Now, the action is REAL low. Lovely for finger-style as long as I don't dig in much, but I'd like to strum her as well! Problem is, the truss rod is already backed right off. If I do the first to 12th fret finger-test the A and low E do not vibrate freely - rest are OK - so I may also have a wee twist, no? Am I on the right track with the truss rod or should I be looking at raising the saddle? She's strung with John Pearse "Slightly Lights" - maybe I should go with a heavier gauge?

Intonation is pretty much perfect as she stands, if that matters.

Thanks folks!

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I'd try heavier strings if your fingers can take it. Also, a taller saddle or a shim under the saddle might help. Also, make sure it's well-humidified, as that can raise the bridge a bit. I got a Blueridge 12 string from Amazon that needed quite a while to re-humidify, which helped bring the bridge up a touch.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Is the neck dead stright or showing a minimal bow ?
I would also need more info, say action at first fret, 12th fre.
How is the the bridge (first string almost level, without much angle) ?
Ideally, photos...

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the neck dead stright or showing a minimal bow ?
I would also need more info, say action at first fret, 12th fre.
How is the the bridge (first string almost level, without much angle) ?
Ideally, photos...
It would seem to show a minimal bow. As I said in my OP, if I fret the first and 12th frets, the (low) E and A do not vibrate freely, which has me the most concerned.
I did switch to medium gauge strings, which seems to have mitigated the situation slightly, but it's hard to tell...
Maybe I need a gittech to look at it.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Sorry, I did not understand the 1st and 12th fret test you mentionned. OK, just a normal neck bow.
Now, I understand you have buzzing problem while strumming first position or barred chords.
Since heavier gauge helped, it has just exagerated the bow a bit. You could loosened the truss rod, but I think you problem is the nut (and probably the saddle too) is too loo.
I once sold one of my fingertyle adjusted ax to a strummer : he had to get higher nut and saddle put on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.