1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will see.
Been on the lookout for a 212.
L&M had it on inventory blowout.
I'll give her a try with the YBA-1 Mod-1 (a little series/parallel shift to make it 4ohm)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Black is the new Orange!
I love Orange cabs in black.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
What Moot said. I love Orange cabs. And even more when they aren't orange.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Nice! I know orange is their colour, nut i always found that their black ones looked sexier

If i remember right, its the same as their open back 212 just with different speakers and now closed?

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! I know orange is their colour, nut i always found that their black ones looked sexier

If i remember right, its the same as their open back 212 just with different speakers and now closed?
Good guess, has their "Voice of the World" 12" speakers, based on the V30 with a tighter low end.
Closed back.

Sent from my other brain.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
congrats!

never knew they made black cabs. looks great

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well kids, she's a great cab, but the Voice of the World speakers are not for me. Very tight on the bottom end (as I found out that Jim plays a drop A!) so it won't flub out.
So on my rig it was very bright & I want to say, nasally.
Back she went.

Sent from my other other brain.

·
Premium Member
9,988 Posts
You know that V30's are very upper middy out of the box, but do break in to be mellower up top, right? A broken in pair of V30's sounds great for just about any sort of rock. But they can take a fair bit of play time to get to that point. Just sayin :) If it was a steal of a deal it might have been worth hangin on to, though only you can say for sure. I had a Mesa 4x12 that I had a similar experience with, never did play it enough to get it tamed. Kids used to see me firing up the YBA 1 on top of that cab and run to leave the house :D

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I had a pair of V30's in my Mesa Roadster. I bought it used and they were already broken in because after a year or so, they never go any better. Replaced them with Eminence Legends and it was much better to my ears. I put the V30s back in when I unloaded the amp because I didn't want to be stuck with them.

To be fair, I never really bonded with channels 3 and 4 either. I suspect the V30's were oriented more towards those dark-sounding channels. I loved channels 1 and 2 - in fact, I loved the Tweed and Brit and Fat and Clean modes in channels 1 and 2, I wish had those repeated in 3 and 4. As it was, it was waaaaaay too heavy (I mean physically as well as sonically) for a 2 channel amp. The LSS kills it dead for my kinda playing. And at 50ish lbs, it's less than half the weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts