The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sold my Traynor DH212 a month or so ago and thought that I would stay with just a single 112 cab.

There has been a new, claimed unused, Mesa 112 with a C90 taunting me on Kijiji locally for weeks. The asking price dropped by $150, so I made the effort. The guy has Mesa 212, and 412 cabs that he uses regularly.

It is clean, no marks yet, and came with a cover.

It needs to be broken in and sounds good so far. It is an improvement for my Ceriatone Expression when used alone. It also pairs nicely with my DH 112 cab that has a Jensen Neo in it. Getting it off of the floor makes it sparkle. The front port can deliver a 3D sound image when reverb or delay is engaged. It is articulate, punchy, and deep bass with a Strat. It makes the Dr. Z Maz 18 sound more focused and alive.

I also tried it with the Bronco, and Princeton amps. So far it offers something different in a good way.
image.jpg

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
i always liked mesa cabs for certain things. their sound has a ...tightness to it. i don't know the proper way to describe it, but there have been times for me when i can't imagine something else working as well as they did. the odd part for me was that i found (with the smaller ones) i liked them better paired with heads that were not mesa, even though i like them too.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@cheezyridr, I understand what you are trying to convey.

I have had my Mesa Mini Rec Twenty-Five for several years now. I reluctantly picked it up on a trade that I felt was greatly in my favour, to flip. I wound up finding some endearing qualities that put an end to those thoughts. I easily find cabs for certain channels of the amp, but not all of the channels with just one cab. I am sure that it is just my old ears and the room that I am playing in.

Trying to pick a single 112 that covers over a dozen amps is not going to happen. I was trying to do my due diligence and study which Mesa 112 cab would suit my menagerie of amps and make the little Mesa lunch box shine everywhere. I have been warned by several forum members about the Mini Mesa Rec cabs and this amp. The opinion of others here has to be considered; all these smaller cabs from Mesa are pricey to begin with, then add the exchange rate.

I was leaning towards the open back wide body Mesa cab, but the opportunity to buy this closed back reasonably, reinforced some of my other thoughts and considerations. I actually want both of these cabs. I will now wait for that opportunity to present itself at a more affordable price.

I am surprised how the cab on its’own makes several other combo amps sound with the combo speaker silenced. As an add on cab I expected good results, used singly, it is very nice when elevated off of the floor.

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
I've got a widebody closed back with a C90 and a Thiele with an EVM12-L. Both are built like the proverbial brick outhouse. The back is so tight on the widebody that I thought it was glued first time I opened it up.

The Thiele has more bottom end and is of course smaller. It also weighs significantly more because of the driver - heavier than a couple of my combos. I use the widebody more often because it's lighter and it actually takes a bit less floorspace when I put it on end. My small heads still fit nicely on it when I do that.

If I could find a widebody opened back used, for a good price, I'd be all over it. It would fundamentally be more different sounding from either of those cabs than they are from each other. Some amps sound better with an open back and some sound better with a closed back. That's the conundrum with the TA15. Half the modes are just begging for an opened-back while the others really need a closed-back. One cab is a compromise if I'm channel switching (and I usually am).

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That EV speaker is desirable, but quite heavy due to magnet size. That speaker in a wide back is supposed to be an interesting combination.

@High/Deaf, I am in agreement with your thoughts and experience.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A week has gone by and the cab still continues to show its worth. It packs a punch and adds a dimension, even when added to my Mesa F-100 212 as a an extension, or third speaker.

I am feeling that this cab has more usefulness and worth than the Traynor DH 212 it replaced. I don’t miss that 212 cab in any way, shape, or form. A versatile pair of 112’s are doing it for me, singly, paired, or as extension cabs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts