The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd given up on this small project after blowing a ton of money in NYC and also finding that a new cab was going to cost me about as much as the amp did. Enter Derrick Bell. He finally got in touch with me after having issues with his old email account. After discussing what I was looking for, a 1x12 combo cab, he quoted me a price that in my opinion was more than reasonable and I decided to go ahead. To say I'm pleased with the results would be an understatement. The quality of the work is outstanding and the cab is both very light and very resonant. A perfect match for my old Pro Jr, which is what i was hoping for. This is now the perfect grab and go amp for practice or small venues. The G12H30 Anniversary is a great match for the amp. Gratuitous pic of todays pedal board layout included :)

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
If I ever get a twin and make it a head, he's gonna do it.

Reactions: davetcan

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I I have purchased probably four or five of his cabinets. He’s only getting better and he’s a lovely person to deal with. Good choice congratulations
Agreed, he was great. When I met him in TO to pick it up there was a car load of cabs being delivered and 2 other guys showed up while I was talking to him :)

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
has he updated a site with contact info?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I'd given up on this small project after blowing a ton of money in NYC and also finding that a new cab was going to cost me about as much as the amp did. Enter Derrick Bell. He finally got in touch with me after having issues with his old email account. After discussing what I was looking for, a 1x12 combo cab, he quoted me a price that in my opinion was more than reasonable and I decided to go ahead. To say I'm pleased with the results would be an understatement. The quality of the work is outstanding and the cab is both very light and very resonant. A perfect match for my old Pro Jr, which is what i was hoping for. This is now the perfect grab and go amp for practice or small venues. The G12H30 Anniversary is a great match for the amp. Gratuitous pic of todays pedal board layout included :)

That must sound deadly. You'll have to invite me to your house vs. the parking lot du jour next time I'm in town.

·
Administrator
16,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was this your inspiration Dave? Any mods to the amp? It looks fantastic.

The actual inspiration was that I had already put the chassis into a head cab and was running it into a Boogie Thiele 1x12. I loved the sound I was getting from that and started wondering if I could put it into a larger 1x12 combo cab. I didn't see the above video until I started my search for a cab. Other than trying different tubes I've made no changes. I have a 12AT7 in V1 and will likely end up with a 12AU7 there but I just don't have one lying around. It's given me a bit more headroom. It's also quite a quiet amp but I've heard lots of people complain about hiss and hum, maybe I just got lucky. Took it to practice on Tuesday and was really really pleased with the results.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I have a 12AT7 in V1 and will likely end up with a 12AU7 there but I just don't have one lying around. It's given me a bit more headroom.
A 12AU7 will indeed provide more headroom but it does so at the expense of overall perceived volume. I'd suggest a 12AY7 instead. If you're set on a U however, I have some you'd be welcome to.

Reactions: davetcan
1 - 20 of 41 Posts