The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been well used and abused but after a quick set-up it plays great for what it is. This classic vibe series is just awesome for the price.

I suppose I will be looking for a small Bass amp now (after Christmas). Any suggestions for a decent sounding small amp? It will just be for basement playing.

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments
Guitar String instrument Bass guitar Musical instrument Plucked string instruments
Guitar String instrument Bass guitar String instrument Electric guitar

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Yup, the CV basses are every bit as good as the CV guitars.

The Fender Rumbles are good, the current ones are V3 (version 3) and considered a little better, but the older ones nothing wrong with them.
Owned a couple Traynor/Yorkville bass combos over the years, sounded fine.

G

·
Congrats!
Someday you may want to jam out with it and a practice amp won't cut it.
Sulpher's Markbass suggestion is a great amp. I have one.
It replaced my Fender BXR300C which is available for a buck/watt (cough, cough).

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
Haven't played one myself, but supposed to sound good. Be just for home use though, if you do anything more than a 2 piece acoustic jam it's probably not enough juice.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I have an Ampeg BA108 - 20w. I picked it up used with replacement Eminence Alpha 8a full range PA speaker-125w. I think More than enough for basement playing IMO. These are $130 new at L&M.

I guess you could say I have its fraternal twin, Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. I'm sure the knobs and colour are the only difference. Great for noodling around with at home with the Ampeg.

·
Registered
16,159 Posts
Yup, the CV basses are every bit as good as the CV guitars.

The Fender Rumbles are good, the current ones are V3 (version 3) and considered a little better, but the older ones nothing wrong with them.
Owned a couple Traynor/Yorkville bass combos over the years, sounded fine.
I have a Rumble 40--works great for home playing--and only 18 pounds--hey have lower watts & higher as well--if that fits the bill for you.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
With guitar amps, I find most practice amps are somewhat usable in a jam. Even a 5 watt tube amp will keep up with a drummer, if you don't mind some grind.

Bass amps, not so much. I bought one of those Traynor 100 watt single 15" amps for my jam room and it barely keeps up with some drummers. I take a line out of it and run it into the PA (3 way with 18" sub) for a bit of support, especially in the lowest octave. I was surprised - thought it would be enough amp by itself.

All this to say: with bass I guess you can't really buy a practice amp to jam with. My advice for guitar players would be to buy a big enough amp to jam with. For bass, I think I would initially buy just a practice amp and budget for a serious bass rig down the road, if you ever decide to play out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With guitar amps, I find most practice amps are somewhat usable in a jam. Even a 5 watt tube amp will keep up with a drummer, if you don't mind some grind.

Bass amps, not so much. I bought one of those Traynor 100 watt single 15" amps for my jam room and it barely keeps up with some drummers. I take a line out of it and run it into the PA (3 way with 18" sub) for a bit of support, especially in the lowest octave. I was surprised - thought it would be enough amp by itself.

All this to say: with bass I guess you can't really buy a practice amp to jam with. My advice for guitar players would be to buy a big enough amp to jam with. For bass, I think I would initially buy just a practice amp and budget for a serious bass rig down the road, if you ever decide to play out.
I would try the Ampeg Micro-CL...great versatile little combo. I jammed with guys on Saturday and plenty loud enough.(@ vol 3.5 !:eek:) The drummer was new and he couldnt believe the sound i was getting out of it. It has a loop in/out, Aux in with separate level adjustment. Headphone jack. Easy to play at low volumes. You can even just separate the head and use an iPod to jam along to. I would have never! even thought about buying one of these. I actually won in on a FaceBook contest Ampeg was doing.!

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would try the Ampeg Micro-CL...great versatile little combo. I jammed with guys on Saturday and plenty loud enough.(@ vol 3.5 !:eek:) The drummer was new and he couldnt believe the sound i was getting out of it. It has a loop in/out, Aux in with separate level adjustment. Headphone jack. Easy to play at low volumes. You can even just separate the head and use an iPod to jam along to. I would have never! even thought about buying one of these. I actually won in on a FaceBook contest Ampeg was doing.!
I saw these at L&M before I had the bass and thought they looked pretty neat. I like the small footprint too.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I have an Ampeg BA108 - 20w. I picked it up used with replacement Eminence Alpha 8a full range PA speaker-125w. I think More than enough for basement playing IMO. These are $130 new at L&M.

I guess you could say I have its fraternal twin, Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. I'm sure the knobs and colour are the only difference. Great for noodling around with at home with the Ampeg.

I tried one of those Ampeg's a while ago and thought it was pretty nice, especially for the price.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
It has been well used and abused but after a quick set-up it plays great for what it is. This classic vibe series is just awesome for the price.

I suppose I will be looking for a small Bass amp now (after Christmas). Any suggestions for a decent sounding small amp? It will just be for basement playing.

View attachment 139793 View attachment 139801 View attachment 139809
The CV's weren't around when I was looking for a "better" bass. I had bought a Fender clone at Cash Converters or something. The bridge had been replaced, it wouldn't stay in tune, etc... I saw my Epi Embassy for a good price and grabbed it. However, I think I would have taken a CV if they were available. Nice find.

I will be testing some of the ideas here as I'm also looking to electrify my bass properly. Right now I'm using my very first guitar amp. It's an 80's Aria (or something) I got it with my first guitar. It has no resale value, and would be sitting idle if not for the bass.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have the Bronco 40. Really like it. We use to use it for jamming with the line out but now my bass player has a good size yorkville. Built in effects, tuner, and models several amps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.