The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been curious to try bass and my brother picked up one of these Yamahas a few months ago, so on Sunday I trekked up to Cosmo Music and came home with this one. I also tried a short scale Fender Mustang PJ and liked the feel of it, but it was more than I wanted to spend. I have a decent bass model on my Amplifire and it sounds good enough to get me started, so I'm pleased.

Here’s a pic:
Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Bass guitar Plucked string instruments

There is, however, a bit of a problem. I find, after playing and practicing just some basic stuff on the bass, my left wrist and hand are really bugging me. Possibly more than they have since last year when I had to take a couple of months off from playing. My guess is that my technique is off. With guitar, I tend to palm the neck, but with bass, that's doesn't really work. I find that the stretches on bass are quite large and I'm wondering if I should have tried a short scale bass at another shop that was more in my price range. I guess I could return this one if it keeps hurting my hand, but I am trying to focus on technique, thumb behind the neck and all that.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions? Should I take this one back and go short scale?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Hey Jdto...

Its just a question of being comfortable... I love playing guitar but the guitar fells awkward to me with such small frets I tend to like larger necks .... More at home with a bass since that is my main instrument... that said...

If you really have a hard time with large fret and especially feel pain, I would immediately suggest a short scale bass and even light gage strings to be able to adapt.... Playing music should not be painful...

Most guitarist have an easier time with short scale basses... its just logical...

Enjoy !

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
When I started paying bass, I played a short scale Japan Tele copy between the age of 8 to 15. I then moved on to full scale from then on without any problems ...

Playing bass for 15 minutes is always a blast but you need to develop strength and endurance if you plan to play for 4-5 hrs straight...

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I started paying bass, I played a short scale Japan Tele copy between the age of 8 to 15. I then moved on to full scale from then on without any problems ...

Playing bass for 15 minutes is always a blast but you need to develop strength and endurance if you plan to play for 4-5 hrs straight...
Thanks for the advice. I was reading some tips on technique (keep the thumb in the middle behind the neck) and I'll make sure to warm up slowly and carefully and see how my hand feels. If the problem persists, I can see if a short scale will do better.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Angle makes a difference, more vertical generally being easier on the wrist. Me, I pick pretty close to the neck so my left hand reach doesn't feel as far. And I wear a bass pretty high up, but I was the same with guitar. No low slung cool look for me.

Neck size makes a difference, though now after playing bass a couple years straight I've slowly gravitated to larger sized necks. I was all Jazz basses for a while, and a short scale. Bought a P to mess around on, couldn't get used to it, sold it. Bought another P and kept at it, now my favourite to play. Have a Stingray with a larger yet neck, slowly it's becoming #1. So it takes some time, as Frenchy said.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angle makes a difference, more vertical generally being easier on the wrist. Me, I pick pretty close to the neck so my left hand reach doesn't feel as far. And I wear a bass pretty high up, but I was the same with guitar. No low slung cool look for me.

Neck size makes a difference, though now after playing bass a couple years straight I've slowly gravitated to larger sized necks. I was all Jazz basses for a while, and a short scale. Bought a P to mess around on, couldn't get used to it, sold it. Bought another P and kept at it, now my favourite to play. Have a Stingray with a larger yet neck, slowly it's becoming #1. So it takes some time, as Frenchy said.
Thanks. I do prefer larger necks on guitar, so that may be another factor. Maybe I'll have to try out a P Bass and see how the fatter neck feels, too.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went for the Mustang. It feels a lot more comfortable and puts a lot less strain on the joint at the base of my left hand on the pinky side, which is where too many years of PlayStation have done the most damage and where the arthritis and the irritation usually gets me.

Guitar String instrument Musical instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I went for the Mustang. It feels a lot more comfortable and puts a lot less strain on the joint at the base of my left hand on the pinky side, which is where too many years of PlayStation have done the most damage and where the arthritis and the irritation usually gets me.

View attachment 137145
Good move! I was primarily a guitarist as well, and I went for the Mustang P/J. I have long scale basses, but the Mustang has become my #1 bass. And I find I am playing bass as much or more than guitar now. And just to warn you, I added a Hofner short scale Club Bass recently. You may want more short scale basses too!

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good move! I was primarily a guitarist as well, and I went for the Mustang P/J. I have long scale basses, but the Mustang has become my #1 bass. And I find I am playing bass as much or more than guitar now. And just to warn you, I added a Hofner short scale Club Bass recently. You may want more short scale basses too!
Thanks, I’ve been happy with it so far. A bit neck-heavy, but not terrible. I’m going to see how things go with learning some bass-ics. I’d eventually like to try a long scale again if I get into playing it more, but for now I like the feel of this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts