The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found in a pawn shop, walked away with it for $200. CV 60s Jazz. Perfect for a gig spare beater, well played, some dings, but straight neck, no fret work needed, and good sounding stock pups. Zactly what I needed, and it plays great.
Damn I don’t know how to upload any more lol. White slightly yellowed, tort guard, rw board.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm has a rattle that I can’t track down. Was thinking maybe truss rod, though it still functions changing relief. Is that even possible? Plays great otherwise, didn’t take much cleanup to get it good.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I was restringing the bass, I tightened every screw and nut on the bass. I do this even with brand new instruments. Bridge, neck, tuners, pickguard, input jack, everything.

I had the neck 100% apart yesterday. Even took the tuners down to component level, cleaned and regreased, and reinstalled.

On talkbass I have found the likely solution. There are steel stiffening bars about 6" long, alongside the TR, down at the body end - the wood shrinks a bit, and they rattle. Been given pics of a torn apart neck showing what and where. Solution is to drill into the back of the neck where it attaches to the body, and syringe glue into the channels where these rods are. With nothing to lose on a cheap bass that otherwise needs a neck replacement, I'm going to give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Got any pix?? This is my VM J Bass. Got it for $200 a couple years ago. Just needed a truss rod bridge adjustment.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I said in post 1, I no longer know how to post pics, as my membership was not renewed and I am far too lazy to upload to imgur and link back. :p

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
Awwwwwwwwwww nuts. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts