The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to show off my new (old) bass. I picked it up today and couldn't be happier as I finally have a Northern guitar and it is a Rickenbacker bass copy. I have been wanting to get a rick bass copy for a while now and have looked for a Northern guitar of any type for years and just haven't found one until now. I didn't know that Northern had made Rickenbacker copies and couldn't find any online so I guess they are somewhat scarce. It works and sounds great and I couldn't be happier.
Northern Rick.jpg
Northern Headstock.jpg
Northern Neck.jpg
Northern Ricky.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked it up at Curries Music in Gravenhurst. Great store full of cool used and vintage gear.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I haven't been this excited over a new acquisition in a long time.

Reactions: sambonee

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That is awesome! My first electric was a Northern strat. I would love to find one.
Is it a set neck??
Very cool

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a bolt on neck but it seems to stay in tune well and the sustain seems good from my initial tryout. The neck isn't overly beefy either which is a good thing for me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Years ago I looked at a used Northern strat but turned it down as it was in rough cosmetic shape and they were asking top dollar for it. I have regretted it ever since. I figured I would just wait until another one showed up but now wish I had bought it as you don't see them very often and it was already relic'd...lol.

·
Registered
15,651 Posts
Cool--enjoy!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will get right on it! lol.

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
594 Posts
great score! Northerns are such cool guitars... I still hope to stumble on a maple on maple LP copy one day with the black maple leaf inlays...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a twin to that one in a shop in bowmanville!
Is it a Northern? I have not been able to find one photo online or any reference to the Northern Ricks so I am guessing that they didn't make very many of them. From what I am able to determine, they are identical to the Ibanez bolt on neck Ricks from the late 70's. I think every Canadian should own at least one Northern...lol

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've done quite a bit of work on it since I got it. The previous owner glued the neck in at some point and I couldn't get the action down to where I like it so I had my luthier brother steam the neck off and rebuild the heel (it broke in two as it was very thin) and we milled an angle on the heel so that we wouldn't have to shim it. We then poured epoxy into the pocket and re-milled it to get a nice tight fit. The neck now fits well and gives me plenty of adjustment for height and is stronger. I also made a pickup bezel for the bridge pickup. Its all back together and plays beautifully now. At some point I will replace the pots as they are all 500k linear pots and 3/4 of the rotation does nothing and then the last 1/4 gives you full volume or tone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts