The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This arrived this morning as part of a probable deal. I had it on loan a year or two ago and got to know it so when the opportunity arose to acquire it I thought, what the heck! We'll close the deal after Christmas.
IMG_0443.JPG

It doesn't exactly fill a hole in my sonic collection, more like augments what I've already got. My other 5 string is a normal scale open back (ie I removed the resonator) that I like a lot so this lightly used resonator back short scale is more a curiosity than a necessity. It needs strings and a general set-up and cleaning but is quite playable as it stands. The owner bought it used from Elderly but decided he didn't have space for it as he's a pretty dedicated tenor banjo player.

TB-250: A-Scale Traveler Banjo | Gold Tone Folk Instruments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Congrats!

I just learned more about banjos in your quick blurb than I thought there was to know! I (seriously) had no idea there are different scale lengths, or have resonators. I have a 5-string I took off the wall of a Country Bar I used to work at when they went belly up. Hollow back, skin over a wooden ring, with a bolt-through neck.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mooh

·
Premium Member
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I've got to try one of these one day. Enjoy yours!

·
Premium Member
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got to try one of these one day. Enjoy yours!
Thanks Steady.

I restrung it yesterday and experimented with it open versus closed back and definitely prefer the tone with the back on. Kinda weird, I prefer my other 5 string (also a Gold Tone) as an open back. Had to tweak the head tension and intonation. I'm hoping the gold hardware grows on me.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Would you mind explaining to me again why the fifth string is tuned at the sixth fret?

·
Premium Member
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you mind explaining to me again why the fifth string is tuned at the sixth fret?
Fifth fret.

Principally it's a string used as a drone or pedal note, except higher in pitch than what's typically found in other music styles.. The tuning is re-entrant, like a ukulele's, except it's (5th to 1st)) GDGBD where the 5th string is tuned higher than the 1st. Strings 4, 3, and 2 are tuned the same as guitar.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Fifth fret.

Principally it's a string used as a drone or pedal note, except higher in pitch than what's typically found in other music styles.. The tuning is re-entrant, like a ukulele's, except it's (5th to 1st)) GDGBD where the 5th string is tuned higher than the 1st. Strings 4, 3, and 2 are tuned the same as guitar.
Thanks for the explanation and the correction on which fret. I thought it was the fifth and then thought it was the sixth and changed it.

·
Premium Member
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, stranger things have happened but this banjo is already gone. Sold to one of my students. I had it for a week but decided it didn't really float my boat quite like my other five string does. In the end I more or less brokered the deal for the original seller as I never did get my wallet out.

In time it'll likely become one of those "didn't I have one of those once?" instruments.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.
GDGBD is Open G tuning, ain't it ?
P.S. I love the sketch on your curtain ;-)

·
Premium Member
11,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.
GDGBD is Open G tuning, ain't it ?
P.S. I love the sketch on your curtain ;-)
Yes, open G.

That would be my rug. It's taken from a hand made birthday card I received from my niece. A company called Nine Star Design made it for me. Our previous rug was ruined in a tornado and somewhat serendipitously we encountered the maker at an arts and crafts show.

Nine Star Designs

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yes, open G.

That would be my rug. It's taken from a hand made birthday card I received from my niece. A company called Nine Star Design made it for me. Our previous rug was ruined in a tornado and somewhat serendipitously we encountered the maker at an arts and crafts show.

Nine Star Designs
Many thanks for your kind answer.

Oops ! My mind babbled and translated to curtain instead of rug : sorry ! These things sometimes happen.. :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts