The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Got a call this afternoon saying that my Ebony Thunderbird Vintage Pro has arrived and is ready to be picked up. I was shocked, I figured it was another 1-2 months away from arriving.

Going to go and get it on Sunday. BTW, I had my guitar tech look it over to see if he could identify any issues, he came back to say that he was amazed with the quality of it and that I will definitely want it.

Photos on Sunday.

TD

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granny, I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon at the L&M Markham store if you want to check it out you can meet me there.

TD

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
Been waiting for one of these to land. I don't need another bass though. I said, I don't need another bass though. I definitely do no need another bass, but thanks.

I'll probably buy the first one I see.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Granny, I'm picking it up tomorrow afternoon at the L&M Markham store if you want to check it out you can meet me there.

TD
Thanks for the offer, but children. A thorough report will satisfy me (without giving me as much GAS as seeing one IRL).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the offer, but children. A thorough report will satisfy me (without giving me as much GAS as seeing one IRL).
I don't have the children problem anymore, now their adults with their own problems. I'll let you know what I think of the TBird after I've given it a good going over.

TD

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
I had asked Tom at L&M south about them about a month ago, and he ordered a white one on spec based on my request. I happened to be in there today and inquired after it, turned out it was fresh off the truck and in the back unboxed.

Uhhh, NBD. Pics to follow.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
6E7DAFCB-4563-4496-88D4-E1EA42B96466.jpeg
24D2AA20-9E49-41D0-8610-73CBE1EFBF7B.jpeg
4F613325-F758-441D-A6FE-56FFD3EFBA21.jpeg

Thar she blows!

Of note:
The headstock is huge, fully 3” longer bass than the regular Epi, and would not fit in a stock TBird case.
A little neck heavy for sure, I use a wide suede backed strap so not that big a deal.
Looong reach, sitting down with it I literally cannot reach the G tuner and I’m 6’ tall with a decent wingspan. Standing and playing not an issue however.
Narrow nut but decent meaty profile, easy for me to get comfortable with.

Setup perfect out of the box, and decent sounding strings. I’ll take it to band practice tomorrow and see how I feel about it after.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What are the prices on these at L&M? I wasn’t huge on the look in the stock photos, but they look great in real life.

·
Premium Member
8,578 Posts
$850? Dunno, thereabouts. I traded a couple of things and only paid attention to the difference.

I did end up taking a fret crowning file to it, and changing strings, and doing a minor adjustment at the bridge. And found 4 very soft turning//assumed stripped screws. 3 are non-critical, 1 pickguard, 1 bridge pup surround, 1 tuner back, but the neck heel strap button I should probably fill.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
$850.00 at L&M was what I paid for mine. Finding a case to fit these might be a problem. The standard Yorkville TB Case is too short. Hopefully Yorkville can source a correct length case from Epiphone.

TD

1 - 20 of 28 Posts