The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm feeling a bit better about my purchase - still not sure that I like it better than my B-Band when it was at it's best, but that was so long ago, there might be some nostalgia kicking in. This one certainly has more bottom end available, but it was getting the bottom end down to useable levels that I was having trouble with. I still have the option of tweaking the mic trim pot, but I've found a sound that I can use just using the control wheels and phase switch. I'll tweak a bit more when I have time.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... I hope you post a review later.
Review time:

Well, it took a while to work out all of the bugs - it had a faulty endpin jack and was burning through batteries like crazy, but I've now got it working properly and "dialled in" and I think I like it.

I'll start with what I look for in a pick-up. I'm looking for something that sounds good plugged straight into a PA or amp with no EQ. I play a lot of fingerstyle, but do some strumming as well so it has to sound good for both situations.

Basically, the Anthem has both an "Element" undersaddle pick-up and a "Tru-Mic" PZM microphone that mounts under the bridge. The controls are inside the soundhole and have a master volume and a blend dial, as well as a trim pot for the PZM and a phase switch. When I first installed it, the tech suggested that I leave the trim pot alone - bad advice. As it came from the factory, the pick-up was way too bass heavy for me and adjusting the trim isn't a big deal. The manual says that setting the trim properly is essential to decent sound, and it is.

The phase switch is also crucial to getting the best sound out of it - and it seems to change from system to system. It reverses the phase of one of the pick-ups (not sure which) and really affects the mids - which makes sense because the under-saddle pick-up emphasizes the bottom end and the PZM fills out the highs.

I've played it through a number of PAs now, including the Adamson system at our church, a couple of Bose systems, and my own Yorkville system. I'm pretty happy. I have discovered that I no longer like my old Yorkville AM-50 acoustic amp as much as I did. With EQ flat, the guitar sounds a bit brittle, but I can roll off a bit of high end to get it sounding decent.

The Anthem isn't cheap - with installation, it was around five bills - but for me it falls in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Is the phase switch a pre-phase switch ? I was said the reason for creation of a pre-phase was reverse phase to stop feedback...

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
I've played it through a number of PAs now, including the Adamson system at our church, a couple of Bose systems, and my own Yorkville system. I'm pretty happy. I have discovered that I no longer like my old Yorkville AM-50 acoustic amp as much as I did. With EQ flat, the guitar sounds a bit brittle, but I can roll off a bit of high end to get it sounding decent.

The Anthem isn't cheap - with installation, it was around five bills - but for me it falls in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy.
I prefer PA's over acoustic amps as well. The first two strips on my Mackie Onyx work great as acoustic guitar preamps. So I'm good with my PA.

But I find some PA's aren't sell suited to basic passive pickups like the KK Pure Mini. The preamp with your pup probably compensates for some PA's lack of 'friendliness' (lower output Z, etc). My two main acoustics have passive pups so I usually take a LR Baggs ParaDI when I go out, just in case. Nothing worse than not being able to dial out the brittleness and not having enough EQ precision to get rid of howl.

{edited} That fella (Matt Gunn?) sounded good with your guitar. Nice tune.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I prefer PA's over acoustic amps as well. The first two strips on my Mackie Onyx work great as acoustic guitar preamps. So I'm good with my PA.

But I find some PA's aren't sell suited to basic passive pickups like the KK Pure Mini. The preamp with your pup probably compensates for some PA's lack of 'friendliness' (lower output Z, etc). My two main acoustics have passive pups so I usually take a LR Baggs ParaDI when I go out, just in case. Nothing worse than not being able to dial out the brittleness and not having enough EQ precision to get rid of howl.

{edited} That fella (Matt Gunn?) sounded good with your guitar. Nice tune.
I should have mentioned that I always run my guitar through an LR Baggs Para DI when using a PA - so that definitely helps.

And yes, Matt is a pretty talented guy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts