1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow--the annual tradition of mine is less than a year between posting
(2017 was posted in 2018)
Been busy & forgot to post it
But the 2018 of the wild, wacky, fun, odd, different, etc NAMM Oddities has been posted.

I look forward to seeing what new oddities are posed each year, and it is this site more than any other that most makes me want to go to a NAMM show.
(Okay--there are other reasons--but this is #1)

If I did ever make it to a NAMM show I would be searching out Oddities as well...

NAMM Oddities 2018

Some more cool stuff this year

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
24,667 Posts
Neat!

One of the things I like to remind people of is that the way we move, or can't move, various parts of our body lend themselves to different feels when it comes to expression control. So, that very same synth controller has a modulation wheel over at the side. But there is no way that the user could employ the modulation wheel to get the same "wiggle" to the note that moving (and sensing) his finger can produce.

I'll also point out that, while the Hot Hand likely senses the same way (accelerometers), because you can move your playing hand like that on the keys, but can't do so quite as much on strings, the same kind of remote expression control can have a different, and more immediate, role on the keyboard, compared to a guitar.

I saw, and passed by, the Arturia booth at NAMM, but foolishly did not stop to check it out of chat with folks there. I probably should have. :( I kept my eyes peeled for Eurorack and modular booths, but there were pretty well none to be found.

I gather the NAMM Oddities are pics from the January NAMM in Anaheim, because many of those manufacturers were simply not present at Summer NAMM in Nashville. There wasn`t a whole lot that was as out there as Anaheim.

Teye guitars is as weird as always.

I thought these little cassette-tape coffee tables were kinda cute. I forget whose booth they were in front of.

For me, by far, the weirdest things shown at Summer NAMM were this fretless thing from a young Montreal guy that uses optical sensing for a quasi-fretboard ( DiAuxine ). I tried it out, but you really needed to hold it differently than I did, in order to be able to see the optical sensors, and make it produce useful sounds.

...and some electric harps, to be worn with shoulder straps like those old keyboard controllers. They made some very interesting sounds. Didn't try one. I simply didn't have the hair for it. I imagine buskers with these do reasonably well.

There were also a number of aluminum-body electric guitars, but with the exception of one or two, they generally had very conventional bodies, often emulating Teles and Strats.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I kept my eyes peeled for Eurorack and modular booths, but there were pretty well none to be found.
Are you building any Eurorack modules these days?

I have a kit that I have promised to build for my son-in-law's birthday.
To be honest, I trying to get up the courage to start. I'm not used to this much precise (for me) soldering!

Cascade-Side-Shot1.jpg

Cascade-Product-Shot_B.jpg

Apologies to the OP for the derail.

·
Registered
24,667 Posts
I have a bunch of modular things using Music From Outer Space layouts that are sitting waiting to be finished. So far, I have a dual VCO+dual LFO unit built, wired, installed and working. But the remainder are etched, stuffed, semi-wired and 90% installed. I used some cheap shadow boxes from Dollarama to install things in. For $2-3 each, I couldn't resist getting some nice little wooden boxes of a suitable depth, height and width to hold a couple of modules each. Similar in concept but not Eurorack dimensions, though. Still too many household and other projects on the stack to finish these up, though.

The Cascade unit looks easy enough. Do the sockets first, then the resistors. Do the pot+jack and component boards separately, and then solder the pot+jack board to the main board.

Useful module. Mid-position is no output. Clockwise is more in-phase output, while counter-clockwise is more reverse-phase output.

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gather the NAMM Oddities are pics from the January NAMM in Anaheim, because many of those manufacturers were simply not present at Summer NAMM in Nashville. There wasn`t a whole lot that was as out there as Anaheim.
Yes, he does NAMM in January, not summer NAMM

And I do not consider this thread derailed...

Carry on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts