The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the Winter NAMM 2016 Best in Show was announced and one of the guitar related winners was the James Valentine Signature Guitar from Ernie Ball Music Man.

The other was the Reverend Billy Corgan Signature Model.

This video gives a bit more insight into what the judges were thinking. It turns out each judge picks a different item and don't come to a consensus on a single item. Didn't know that.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I was surprised that two signature guitars got the best in show award. They are neither ground-breaking nor affordable to the average hobby musician (based on pricing for other premium brand signature guitars).

And the gigging musician is unlikely to play someone else's signature guitar. Or do they?

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,110 Posts
I guess I was surprised that two signature guitars got the best in show award. They are neither ground-breaking nor affordable to the average hobby musician (based on pricing for other premium brand signature guitars).

And the gigging musician is unlikely to play someone else's signature guitar. Or do they?
Lots of musicians use other musicians signature gear, Jim root uses an EJ or EC strat (can't recall which of the two at the moment), keith Urban uses a modified Jim root tele for a few tunes, I have seen Ian Thornley use everything under the sun. Also people seem to forget, the Les Paul is a signature guitar technically. 1 or 2 guys have been known to use them :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also people seem to forget, the Les Paul is a signature guitar technically. 1 or 2 guys have been known to use them :)

Which two? I can only think of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know what the EBMM will sell for, but the Reverend lists for $1,439, which means it'll probably street for $1,250. I wouldn't call that an outrageous price for an average hobby musician or gigging musician.
Fair enough...I take the part about the price back.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
That EBMM model looks to be $2099 US list.
I like it though, that boost would be handy and free up a spot on the board. 8)
I'd prefer the pickups to be the other way around though.

All of my EBMMs came in used, or trades. That's the only way they come into my budget.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Which two? I can only think of Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Well, I know a guy named Stevie and another guy named Ray and they both play a Les Paul. In fact I know a guy named Vaughan who plays one too; that's three people. For starters.

I'd agree with your other point though. It is surprising that the much-vaunted "NAMM Best in Show" product selection isn't more-rigorous and less-based on a single retailer's subjective opinion. The guy who awarded Best in Show to the Jamie Valentine signature guitar because he's known Jamie Valentine since he was a kid (IIRC he didn't say much else to justify his choice) has ensured that I'll pay a whole lot less attention to the Best in Show award from now on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts