The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my university guitar ensemble (5 guitar plus bass and drums) I had lead on a challenging tune. When we performed live I screwed up the part really bad and it was super noticeable. Non-musicians probably noticed. I never quit obviously but god damn that was a cringe-worthy experience.

What about you?

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Throwing up because of my nerves. And the time I forgot the lyrics while playing solo at a wedding. Excuse me now while I go and throw up.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
i thought i was going to have to when i ran one of my fingers through a machine, but after a few years it healed in a useable way.
i cant think of a time when i ever WANTED to quit. but a few times, i had to because of this or that thing in my life atm

·
Premium Member
10,865 Posts
Hope this isn't too morbid and depressive for you.

A cancer diagnosis made me offload a bunch of instruments (all the trade fodder, all the repair jobs, a few decent players) to simplify my life, and so that my family wouldn't be too burdened if I died. As things progressed I planned to liquidate more (electrics, basses, banjos, mandolins), and my family was instructed what to do to get the best prices. I intended to quit playing to concentrate on family and friends, keep only the few guitars I wanted to will to people, because it just seemed selfish to continue playing.

Regardless, though I wanted to die with my family by my side, I wanted "my cold dead hands" guitar too.

Unfortunately for those in my will, the doctors are sure I will survive, and I got over the depressing part. Too fucking bad.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Bands and painting.

Couldn't deal with the never ending aggravation of some band members. I had a life to live and I wasn't going to spend it trying to make amends. I was 20 something.

I had been painting/drawing since I was a kid and it seemed like a more viable and enjoyable way to make a living. No one to answer too anymore. So, my bass and amp got sold and my career as an artist flourished. jeangaudet.ca

Now that the art market is dying, making music came back into my life 10 years ago, but with two more strings this time.

Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four ?

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,794 Posts
I can play a few instruments somewhat competently. Some would even consider me quite good at a couple of them. But all I ever really wanted to do was sing/rap. Every time I hear a recording of me singing, rapping, or even just talking; I strongly consider quitting for good.

Seriously though? I don't think anything would make me want to quit music entirely, but some things did happen that made me quit it as a career. Namely, going on one very small tour.

I thought I wanted to be a rock star and my band was able to line up a few shows across the province over the course of a couple of weeks. Took two weeks off work only to come home with almost no profit after expenses, in pain from traveling and playing shows, and exhausted from the lack of sleep and poor nutrition. I'm also not a people person. That didn't help, seeing as I was constantly meeting new people who wanted to "hang out" when all I wanted to do was go home, have a nice meal, and sleep in a comfy bed. It taught me a lot about myself and I knew right away that I didn't want to do that for a living.

I still love music. I love writing and recording songs, the craft of putting together lyrics, messing with gear, and playing with new music technology. The creative part is very cathartic for me. The gear part is just plain fun.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Forty years ago I was playing in a band. The lead guitar player brought a friend to a practice to sit in. He couldn't read music, didn't know what a key was, didn't even know the names of the notes. Within seconds of us starting a song he was playing along, playing partial chords, lead, he was amazing. I had taken many years of lessons, played in a few bands, and thought I was pretty good. He was such a blow to my ego I quit the band a few weeks later. I hardly picked up a guitar for the next thirty years. There were other reasons, mostly drugs, why I didn't play anymore but it was knowing that no matter how much I tried I would never have that guy's ability to hear and respond to music that crushed me. When I got older I started to worry about dementia because my father died of Alzheimers. In my research I found out that playing an instrument was a possible way to stave off dementia. I decided to take up guitar again. That was ten years ago. Now I love playing the guitar. I'm finally mature enough to accept that I'll never be as good as that guy was but it doesn't matter. I play music because I enjoy it. No other reason.

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Having children.

I had a similar situation to @Kerry Brown while i was attending CEGEP. I was playing classical guitar and had learned some cool acoustic tunes (Yes, Steve Howe) and i had just bought an electric guitar. I met up with a chap in my program who suggested we jam and i just got flattened. He was playing all the rock stuff and i remember him talking about "Eruption" and that it was fairly easy and he then played the whole thing note for note. It was mind blowing and pushed me to learn the craft of the electric guitar which i still do to this day. I still can't play Eruption (ha ha ).

·
Premium Member
9,501 Posts
when I was a teenager, it was the lack of support from parents/family who were pretty negative about being serious about music, stereotypes about musicians/bands etc. i know they cared, but at times it could really crush your spirits.

·
Premium Member
10,865 Posts
Namely, going on one very small tour.

I thought I wanted to be a rock star and my band was able to line up a few shows across the province over the course of a couple of weeks. Took two weeks off work only to come home with almost no profit after expenses, in pain from traveling and playing shows, and exhausted from the lack of sleep and poor nutrition. I'm also not a people person. That didn't help, seeing as I was constantly meeting new people who wanted to "hang out" when all I wanted to do was go home, have a nice meal, and sleep in a comfy bed. It taught me a lot about myself and I knew right away that I didn't want to do that for a living.

I still love music. I love writing and recording songs, the craft of putting together lyrics, messing with gear, and playing with new music technology. The creative part is very cathartic for me. The gear part is just plain fun.
Had a virtually idential experience and response.
I loved to sleep in my own bed, eat home cooked meals, have my private time, and my day job paid better and had benefits. Sleeping on the crappy old PA in the back of a Ford Econoline (they weren't called Econoline for nothing) in January, or some seedy motel, in Wawa, was not my idea of fun. Weekend warrior suited my personality better. Whenever I see a band in an RV I understand why...though I'm still not too sure how.

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
played in bands all through my teenage years, getting school dances and community hall type gigs. Finally worked our way up to "bar band" status. Getting gigs, teaching guitar lessons on week nights. Somewhere in there, I came to the realization that I wanted more than what the musician life could give me. Then guys in the band started splittin off & moving away, and that forced me/gave me incentive to go out and get a real job. Things worked out for the best. I'm not rock star material. I'm just a guy who loves music.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Nothing! I will never quit playing or loving music as much as I do. I don't care what happens in my life. Music and playing is my #2 priority. Family first especially my husband!

I used to get intimidated easily by better players then me but hardly anymore. There are so many variables to consider when someone plays at a higher level then you. I have realized the progress I am currently making and that's all a part of the dream for me . When you can rip off a solo that you previously couldn't, it is such a high that I am so addicted to!

I can only grow and flourish more and that in itself is what motivates me and drives my passion which is clearly a passionate obsession.

Besides I am somewhat antisocial so sitting playing day in, day out by myself is just awesome!

To quote Loverboy, "loving every minute of it".

L

·
0 Posts
Back in '86, our studio was broken into.
I lost my new to me Gibson Vee, 100w Marshall half stack and 6 Boss pedals.
Lead guitar lost his MIA BC Rich Bich, 50w Marshall half stack and a few pedals.
Bassist lost his Fender P, Traynor MonoBloc with 215 fridge cab.
Traynor YVM-6 PA with tower cabs, two mics and boom stands.
The drum kit was untouched.

I left the band after that because even though we replaced our stuff, the mood was gone.
They spent most of the rehearsal time drunk/stoned. I was stuck driving them home and
fronting the monthly payment for the studio which I rarely got back from the others.

After 30 years, the lead is the only person that I stay in touch with.
We're the only ones that kept our passions alive.

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
Work/career aspirations killed the full time scene for me. Everyone was playing covers in bars and waiting for some Bruce Alan type to discover us. Too many good players and good bands and by the late 80's / early 90's, no one was really making it anyways. And the very, very few that got the shot got screwed over by record companies. I'm glad I chose the 'logical' path 3 decades ago. It's how I make enough to be a weekend warrior.

As for quitting playing the instrument? Sure, there's those smokin' players that make me re-evaluate where I'm at. But I can just go and listen to some Keef or Neil or Ramones and realize, there's a lot more to music and moving people than wicked chops.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Throwing up because of my nerves. And the time I forgot the lyrics while playing solo at a wedding. Excuse me now while I go and throw up.
Did a lot of people even notice you forgot the lyrics though??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts