The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes, they are probably more expensive than they should be. But they are iconic and I've always wanted one. And when I decided that a resonator was not the sound I wanted for slide, I started looking for one of these. Just showed up 2 hours ago. I think I'm in love. I'll post more thoughts later but here's a pic of the guitar and a family pic of the acoustics.
IMG_20210504_151957703.jpg
IMG_20210504_152011911.jpg

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a few days with the J-45 a few more thoughts. I love the tone. Big bottom but still pretty good all around. Does not have the string clarity of the Larrivee OM-40, but it is pretty close.

Really enjoying the shorter scale. My pinky on my fretting hand has been broken many times and is kind of bent funny, so the shorter reach is nice. Though oddly enough, I don't really notice it when I play electric. I do wish it had the nut width of the OM-40 (1.75) though; a little cramped in the upper position but still very playable.

It's a boss for slide. Really the tone I was looking for. I pretty much just drop string 5 to G now and call it good, so pretty straightforward to go back and forth.

I think the 2 guitars compliment each other nicely. Time will tell which one I reach for more often. I could imagine myself swapping the OM-40 for a 24.75 scaled Larrivee or something similar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts