The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the trigger on a Bugera V5 Infinium. Not bad for a 5 wattage practice amp. It seems a little dark tone to me though but I'll wait a little bit for the speaker to break in/ loosen up. Was wondering if the tubes are replaced with better quality one, it will change the tone cause I think it has cheap Chinese tubes in it from the factory. Sorry for the dumb questions, it's my first ever tube amp and also I'm a noobtubeie.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Congratulations on a great amp! I hope it serves you well.
Better tubes tend to sound, well, better, but they're not the night/day difference people make them out to be.
Tube swapping can become an expensive habit but it can be very educational.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also researched tubes and I wasn't aware that you don't have to use the same tube number for preamp side. I thought it had to be the same number that came with it. Oh well still learning and it's cool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations on a great amp! I hope it serves you well.
Better tubes tend to sound, well, better, but they're not the night/day difference people make them out to be.
Tube swapping can become an expensive habit but it can be very educational.
Thanks I'm excited about the purchase. I've waited 15 year to dig in to this hobby and I've started out slow not having a lot to spend on gear.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a Bugera V5 Infinium. Not bad for a 5 wattage practice amp. It seems a little dark tone to me though but I'll wait a little bit for the speaker to break in/ loosen up. Was wondering if the tubes are replaced with better quality one, it will change the tone cause I think it has cheap Chinese tubes in it from the factory. Sorry for the dumb questions, it's my first ever tube amp and also I'm a noobtubeie.
You are for a world of fun. Once you experience the dynamics of playing a tube amp it's hard to go back. Don't worry about replacing tubes right away. Turn the amp up and wail away. Once you're used to the amp, the speaker's broken in, and you've tried every setting you can think of, then, it might be time to experiment with tubes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are for a world of fun. Once you experience the dynamics of playing a tube amp it's hard to go back. Don't worry about replacing tubes right away. Turn the amp up and wail away. Once you're used to the amp, the speaker's broken in, and you've tried every setting you can think of, then, it might be time to experiment with tubes.
Not a lot of cash to play with so it'll be slow goin for upgrades. And ur right it's fun for sure. Except for the rest of the household.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So an update..... being new at tube amps, I hear a tremolo effect coming from my Bugera V5 Infinium when I play chords and arpeggios. I didn't notice it on my solid state practice amp before but then a tube amp is total different or it was there but didn't notice. Is there something wrong and is it fixable?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and BTW it happens when I turn off the Reverb as well.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
So an update..... being new at tube amps, I hear a tremolo effect coming from my Bugera V5 Infinium when I play chords and arpeggios. I didn't notice it on my solid state practice amp before but then a tube amp is total different or it was there but didn't notice. Is there something wrong and is it fixable?
this may sound silly but is it possible your guitar is out of tune?
G.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did some research, is it possible its the springs in the trem system in my Ibanez floating trem? I've seen people with guitar tips that recommend putting foam in the cavities to quite the springs down. Like I say I'm a noob, so I'm starting to hear things I never paid attention to before. Thanks for your suggestions.

From POCO, B.C.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
Do you have another guitar you can try? That will isolate the issue to guitar or amp.

·
Registered
14,914 Posts
If it's an at home practice amp & you're happy with it--don't worry too much about upgrades--if it isn't doing it for you--then consider them.

But in eitehr case--Enjoy!

Reactions: MDG3

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you post a clip? Audio or Video.

Definitely not normal.
Sorry for the late reply. I'll have to do it hopefully on the weekend. Don't have much to record it with but I'll try a mic hooked up to the PC and I'll use Audicity. Hope for the best possible sound clip that way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the late reply. I'll have to do it hopefully on the weekend. Don't have much to record it with but I'll try a mic hooked up to the PC and I'll use Audicity. Hope for the best possible sound clip that way.

Well, the tremolo effect is possibly due to a piss poor setup. On Saturday, Long & Mcquade's had free guitar setup day, so I took full advantage of the offer and my guitar was all over the place; intonation, saddle height pups height, what a mess. The poor guitar tech ( Fast Eddie ) had his hands full. He was such a good sport about the work that was in front of him. I really appreciated his patients and professionalism. So it was a pups height issue that was causing the problem. Sounds great now, Thanks to L&M and Fast Eddie and folks on this forum for your input, it's much appreciated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts