The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have been trying to sell a RoadKing half stack for several months and yesterday I thought I had it sold.
They guy picked up the head and immediately changed his mind and walked away.
Said it was way too heavy.
I don't know what he was expecting it to weigh.
It's a frikken 135 watt 4 channel head.
What did he expect?

Anyway, he walked away from the deal so I took it to AXE Music in Edmonton thinking I'd trade on something.
What they offered me was absolutely ridiculously low.
The guy said they don't offer much on trades because they don't want to sell used gear.
"Fine, fuck you" was what went through my mind.
I had never tried to trade at AXE before.
Now I know.
Don't go there if you want to trade.
They have competitive pricing on new gear but they won't give you shit for your gear.
I'm serious. It was really low ... like about 30% of what they would resell it for.

I knew L&M typically gives 70% so I drove over there.
My RoadKing is in such pristine condition and the guy liked it so much he gave me even more than the normal 70%.
Half stacks have a limited market and I've been trying to sell for some time so I took the loss and used the proceeds to buy this little gem.

I plugged it in and took it for a spin last night.
Really nice sounding little amp.
Half decent clean headroom when the clean side is set to 35 watts with the power scaling.
Nice and chimy with good balls down low.
I set the dirty side to 10 watts and it rips.
This one's a keeper.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Which L&M?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert,
It's the one on 137th Ave & 149th St.
My girlfriend lives near that general area so I've started going to that one.
I used to go to the bigger south-side one but that's a lot of extra driving if I'm hitting the store on the way to the GF's place.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't take notes.
If I find a setting that I really, really like I pull out my phone and snap a pic of the controls.
I might forget the notes if I go to a gig or jam session.
I don't leave the house without my phone.

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
I don't take notes.
If I find a setting that I really, really like I pull out my phone and snap a pic of the controls.
I might forget the notes if I go to a gig or jam session.
I don't leave the house without my phone.
This is my way of saving settings as well. Foolproof 99% of the time haha.

I still want a mark IV.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
God damn.

I am loving this little Boogie sooooo much.
I only turned it off because my back was sore from standing for 3 hours.
This thing is addictive.

Reactions: Moot

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
Budda, there's a '92 MkIV listed in the Amps for sale in SW Ont for 1300.00!!! Make it happen!
I saw it, it reminded me that I want one haha. Our latest touring van ensures I'm not buying any expensive gear any time soon.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Cool amp.

I went through a similar situation a decade ago. My Roadster combo just wasn't getting out much. Too large, too powerful, 'weigh' too fricken heavy.

I bought it used (fairly cheap, wondered why) and it had a fragged speaker. As I had it back for warranty repairs, they lent me an LSS and I really like it. I used the Roadie for a few years but I never forgot about that LSS. I finally put the Roadster up for sale but not much interest. I eventually saw a minty one year old LSS (in black, my preference) for sale at my local L&M and I knew it was time. I ate it a bit with the trade but buying the Roadster used, it wasn't horrible or unreasonable. I never looked back.

I find 4 EL84's just a perfect power section for the places I play now. I'm using it for an outdoor gig this weekend. More than enough stage volume for something like that, but still small enough to get to work the power section. I don't think there's much point in a tube amp if you run the power section completely clean and can't work the power tubes. JMHO.

Enjoy your 4 EL84 Mesa. They got that shit covered.

Reactions: BMW-KTM
1 - 14 of 14 Posts