The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Z, 38 Maz amp, 2 x 10. I had never really looked at these but heard they were well built and Voxy sounding.
So far so good, not as dirty as I had hoped it would be but also not as loud as I'd expected. Its got alot of bite and the cut knob is very useful in taking the edge off.
Biggest beef so far with this rig is it weighs alot, holy sore back after carrying it in and down the stairs.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
I had a 212 senior, had to be north of 80lbs. Killer sounding amp, I'm surprised you don't find it loud though. I thought it was louder than some 100 watt Amps I've owned. Anyhow, I digress.... happy NAD :)

Reactions: gfilan

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
Congrats! My first Z was a Junior NR head.

I'm also suprised that you expected it to be louder, that's a lot of amp.
The Junior was too loud for my purposes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s not as loud as my ac 30 and it’s supposed to be 38 Watts. I’ve been able to practice with it cranked and I can’t do that with my Vox. Volume maxes out around 6 on the master ( pre cranked) and just gets dirtier after that. Sweet spot around 8 on the master for me. Sounds killer with a tube screamer boost as well.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
It’s not as loud as my ac 30 and it’s supposed to be 38 Watts. I’ve been able to practice with it cranked and I can’t do that with my Vox. Volume maxes out around 6 on the master ( pre cranked) and just gets dirtier after that. Sweet spot around 8 on the master for me. Sounds killer with a tube screamer boost as well.
If its louder than your AC30 the amp likely isn't firing on all cylinders. Maybe be worth swapping the power tubes at the very least. Mine was louder than than a Marshall AFD100 that I had around the same time.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
It takes roughly 10x the wattage, feeding the identical speakers, to be perceived as twice as loud. The difference between 25 and 50W is negligible, when powering the same speakers.

Speakers, on the other hand, vary WIDELY in their efficiency (sound-pressure level-per-watt), and cabs can enhance or detract from the capacity of a speaker to deliver on what it is capable of. So there may be absolutely nothing "wrong" with your amp. The speakers may simply be less efficient than what you have played previously. Sometimes designers make choices that complement their amp tonally, but not volume-wise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. I know you can’t compare wattage between different amps and equate to volume differences. I have a 50 watt 2 x 12 Marshall and I’d say it’s roughly same volume as my ac 30.

I ve never used 10 inch speakers until about a month ago when I picked up a 4 x 10 Marshall cab. The 10,s sounds great in the Dr Z and I love the 4 10 Marshall cab as well.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Congrats on the new amp. I've owned 3 different Maz 38's. A couple of 2X12 combos (very heavy) and a Maz 38 reverb head with a Z best cabinet. Its hard to believe you don't think its loud. You can play with the master to get more dirt if thats what you like. When I had them I always ran them wide open. I didn't really like how the Master sounded down. The best amps I've ever owned (just about every boutique amp on the market) for Master sounding excellent turned down are the 2 Allens I have now.
With the Dr Z Maz 38, when I wanted more volume, oomph, etc I put a Z Best Cabinet vertically underneath the 2X12 combo. Lots of kicking bass and lots of volume. I've never been a fan of 10" speakers and it wouldn't give me what I like.
The Maz 38 I found after it warmed up nicely would give me just a bit of hair on the notes.
If you like more dirt the Maz jr is a good option.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Dude, that's LOUD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts