The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently stumbled across a vintage Traynor YGM-2 from late 1967 for only $399 so jumped on it. While waiting for the amp to arrive I had spoken via email to someone at Traynor who told me that the lowest serial number in their records is G-105. The serial number on my amp is G-102 so it is the lowest serial number that anyone has any knowledge of.

I picked up the amp yesterday and, for the most part, it sounds great. There is a loud hum, even when nothing is plugged into the amp, and that hum pulses when the tremelo is turned on. Also, there is a very loud pop when the standby is engaged. But since I bought it from Long & McQuade it is under warranty so I took it in today and they are sending it off to Traynor for a tuneup (gotta love L&M - a warranty on an amp built in 1967!!!).

While there we played it a bit and were able to crank it. The amp sounds glorious! There is no need to do any mods to it, and I am not even going to bother changing the speaker. Comments I had read on the web claimed that the original Marsland speakers sounded like shit but that is not true in this case as the amp sounded great with the original speaker.

The nameplate on the amp isn't original but, so far as we can tell, everything else is with the exception of the power cord which was previously changed to a three prong cord, and the tubes. Unfortunately the original tubes are long gone but I can replace the Groove Tubes that are in it with others...but Traynor might replace the tubes as part of their warranty service so I'll wait to see what they do before looking for tubes for it.

I didn't take a picture of the amp but below is the pic that the original store posted. It is in surprisingly good cosmetic shape for an amp of its age. We opened up the amp today so I took a picture of the original speaker and another was taken of the guts of the amp. Gotta love that hand-wired circuit, mustard caps, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Terrific amps. I had one years ago, and wish I'd kept it.
FYI - your amp has had some work done on it. All but one of the small blue capacitors has been replaced. I'm not sure, but it looks most of the resistors too. The one i have here has all the dark brown ones like on the far right beside the red diodes.
Still a great deal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think those mustards are original
I have a YGM3 that I modded modestly and upgraded the speaker with a WGS Reaper. It is one if my fave aamps ever. Have had many vintage Traynors- all of which I regret getting rid of. This one is going nowhere .
You may need a Power Cap transplant . But that said - the wire routing for the tremolo can be a culprit for the hum.
Keep it and explore the tone stack, it's very interactive and productive!

Markus

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terrific amps. I had one years ago, and wish I'd kept it.
FYI - your amp has had some work done on it. All but one of the small blue capacitors has been replaced. I'm not sure, but it looks most of the resistors too. The one i have here has all the dark brown ones like on the far right beside the red diodes.
Still a great deal.

Thanks for that. We aren't overly knowledgeable about vintage Traynors so we were just guessing that it was unmolested.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
I had a '69 YGM-3 at one point. You got it for a great price by the way.

I'd be willing to bet that if the amp sounds great cranked, it's probably been tweaked a bit at some point.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
All but one of the small blue capacitors has been replaced.
I'm going to respectfully disagree here. :)
My take is that the 3 blue are original and the white/blue with arrow is the replacement.
Edit: perhaps all the blue ones have been replaced. The 2 small non-electrolytic to the right of the blue/white have been kludged in there also.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
The very far left blue cap is original, at least it's physical size makes it look thst way. The two on the right should be the same physical size, at least they were in the amp i just finished working on. They are fairly old though as the new production are a different colour. So they might be original but different value. Traynor often made changes on the fly.
The one in the middle is definitely new.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Reminds me of a very early YGM1 that I had, including the weird dual cathode bias resistors (most cathode biased amps share a single resistor). These are the larger power resistors on the board with the blue bypass caps.

I seem to remember that I changed mine out for the single resistor.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Here is a pic of my YGM-1 before modifications. Note that the resistors are the same type as your amp so I would dispute that they have been changed out. Also note the dual cathode resistors on the power tubes...that was definitely a quirk on the earliest versions. One of the cathode resistor bypass caps was blown on mine as you can see.

https://flic.kr/p/38347360326

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I emailed Mike Holman at Traynor about my amp coming in. He said that they have a specific guy there who works on their vintage amps, so he will be the one working on mine.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The very far left blue cap is original, at least it's physical size makes it look thst way. The two on the right should be the same physical size, at least they were in the amp i just finished working on. They are fairly old though as the new production are a different colour.
I see what you mean now. Agree those 2 on the 10W power resistors have probably been changed. I don't think Traynor would mount them right on top of the resistors like that, heat is a cap killer.

Reminds me of a very early YGM1 that I had, including the weird dual cathode bias resistors (most cathode biased amps share a single resistor). These are the larger power resistors on the board with the blue bypass caps.
I seem to remember that I changed mine out for the single resistor.
I've never seen the separate resistors on any of their schematics. I thought maybe someone had changed it to separate resistors, but if you've seen it before, that is probably how it was done early on. The advantage being it is more tolerant of mis-matched power tubes. The extra part cost probably got nixed when production ramped up.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Note that the resistors are the same type as your amp so I would dispute that they have been changed out. Also note the dual cathode resistors on the power tubes...that was definitely a quirk on the earliest versions. One of the cathode resistor bypass caps was blown on mine as you can see.
You are probably right about the small resistors. The ones in the amp I just delivered were the dark brown carbons however. Probably just a production change.
As for the output tube resistors, Traynor used the dual cathode resistor and caps in this particular amp. They are original. Most of the schematics I see however only show one resistor and cap. Somewhere along the line things changed. As JB mentioned, probably a cost cut. I've never seen one with only one cathode resistor on the output tubes though.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I've never seen the separate resistors on any of their schematics. I thought maybe someone had changed it to separate resistors, but if you've seen it before, that is probably how it was done early on. The advantage being it is more tolerant of mis-matched power tubes. The extra part cost probably got nixed when production ramped up.
I was able to find the schematic for my amp, including the dual resistors, but don't have it anymore. The pre-amp design was very quirky as well.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
You are probably right about the small resistors. The ones in the amp I just delivered were the dark brown carbons however. Probably just a production change.
As for the output tube resistors, Traynor used the dual cathode resistor and caps in this particular amp. They are original. Most of the schematics I see however only show one resistor and cap. Somewhere along the line things changed. As JB mentioned, probably a cost cut. I've never seen one with only one cathode resistor on the output tubes though.
Were all of the YGM-2's cathode biased? I've never owned one, but assumed they were fixed bias like the YGM-3s

1 - 20 of 24 Posts