The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

VHT Amp - Special 6 Ultra Combo

Six watts into a 12-inch speaker...nice cleans with a foot-switchable push/pull boost for some crunch when you want it. Turn down the "Watts" knob (VHT's version of an attenuator) and crank the volume/gain and it gets fuzzy and crunchy!! And I haven't even plugged into the "Ultra" channel yet!! So much fun!!

Saw it's baby brother at a local shop, the Special 6, and liked it for the few minutes I noodled on it and looked it up when I got home as I'd never heard of VHT. Found this one on Kijiji for the same price as the bare bones one I tried in the shop and figured it was time to finally get into the tube amp game.

·
Premium Member
17,345 Posts
Congrats!

These are post Fryette-owned VHT, which are something else entirely. Kept the logo though.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats!

These are post Fryette-owned VHT, which are something else entirely. Kept the logo though.
Yup, this is a cheap, Chinese hand-wired amp that apparently is very easy to mod. Everybody online says to change out the tubes and maybe the speaker but I'm in no hurry to do that because, in it's stock config, it's leaps and bounds WAAAAAAAY more fun to play that my Mustang I. :D

I've got a co-worker who loves to tinker so maybe one day we'll open it up and dive into the amp modding game but for now I'm going to piss off the neighbours with some really loud power chords and bad blues noodling!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yup, this is a cheap, Chinese hand-wired amp that apparently is very easy to mod. Everybody online says to change out the tubes and maybe the speaker but I'm in no hurry to do that because, in it's stock config, it's leaps and bounds WAAAAAAAY more fun to play that my Mustang I. :D

I've got a co-worker who loves to tinker so maybe one day we'll open it up and dive into the amp modding game but for now I'm going to piss off the neighbours with some really loud power chords and bad blues noodling!
Congrats! It will likely be a keeper. My first tube amp was a converted PA head (the awful Bogen Challenger) and I can't bring myself to get rid of it. It's actually the only amp I have at the minute and I've grown to love the sound. If the Ultra channel on that is anything like on typical Fryette era VHTs the hair on your arms will stand up when you try it out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts