The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a 77 SF Champ next week from a buddy. Its the non reverb,non tremolo in pretty good shape. I had a chance to play it a few months ago and fell in love with it. I know there is a speaker upgrade, not sure what exactly but will come with the original for what its worth. New tubes and inspected not too long ago. Anyone put in a 10 in. speaker in one? Will post pics when i get it.

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
@King Loudness has a nice SF Champ. I'm hoping to get one this summer.
I just sold it, haha. They're nice amps for sure and I'd love another (probably a VC this time) but I had too many amps here and had to let go of some. Champs can be tough to love at first but they're a killer recording and practicing amp.

W.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
The odd time I run my 69 champ through a 4x10 Peavey tweed extension cab. It sounds ummm "bigger" and it is surprisingly loud......

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinkin its a 4 ohm speaker correct? Anyone have input on a 10' in speaker upgrade? Currently has a 8 in.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I'm thinkin its a 4 ohm speaker correct? Anyone have input on a 10' in speaker upgrade? Currently has a 8 in.
Jupiter Condenser speakers are awesome! Including the 8’.

If you become interested, let me know as I am looking to maybe organize a group buy to get shipping to Canada out of crazy levels (I have full multi-speaker shipping quotes from them already). Shipping still expensive. They ship from WGS warehouse in Kentucky, by the way.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jupiter Condenser speakers are awesome! Including the 8’.

If you become interested, let me know as I am looking to maybe organize a group buy to get shipping to Canada out of crazy levels (I have full multi-speaker shipping quotes from them already). Shipping still expensive. They ship from WGS warehouse in Kentucky, by the way.
Thanks buddy. When i get it next week will investigate and see what is required. Much appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you are correct about the 4 ohms
(this states 3.2 ohms The Fender Amp Field Guide assuming this is your Champ)

Do you know if the baffle is removable and if a 10" speaker will fit in this model?
I dont know if i can remove the baffle Dave. Getting the amp next week so wanted some info on fitting a 10 in in there. I think it would sound better but will have to wait and see. I dont want to butcher it either as i never keep my gear too long and the original version would be easier to flip if need be. Much appreciate your info.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
I have a 1974 and the baffle is glued in.
My 1968 has a screwed on baffle.

I would not mess with the very mint, drip edge 1968 VC.

After spending considerable time A/B, with both amps and a Princeton Reverb, I decided to leave them both as is.

The 1974 is modded quite nice and allows a cab to be plugged in instead of the 8”. This approach does significant justice, but I have a large enough amp collection that kind of makes it a waste of time.

Time and experience has allowed me to realize that the 8” as designed approach is to be revered and appreciated for what it is. The portability is very nice. The resale and collectibility should remain intact.

If the 1977 is stock, just mess with tubes, 8” speakers, or use an rca to 1/4” adapter.

My 1974 was a modded hack job, that was serviced back to a useable, more stock appearance, stock working, with useful mods. The holes were drilled into the chassis anyway, so they were retained with the most beneficial mods.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 1974 and the baffle is glued in.
My 1968 has a screwed on baffle.

I would not mess with the very mint, drip edge 1968 VC.

After spending considerable time A/B, with both amps and a Princeton Reverb, I decided to leave them both as is.

The 1974 is modded quite nice and allows a cab to be plugged in instead of the 8”. This approach does significant justice, but I have a large enough amp collection that kind of makes it a waste of time.

Time and experience has allowed me to realize that the 8” as designed approach is to be revered and appreciated for what it is. The portability is very nice. The resale and collectibility should remain intact.

If the 1977 is stock, just mess with tubes, 8” speakers, or use an rca to 1/4” adapter.

My 1974 was a modded hack job, that was serviced back to a useable, more stock appearance, stock working, with useful mods. The holes were drilled into the chassis anyway, so they were retained with the most beneficial mods.
Thanks for all the info. Very useful indeed.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
My 70’s Champ’s baffle is also glued in. I did something many might consider silly, but I bought a Deluxe Reverb cabinet and put two 10’s in there along with the Champ chassis. It sounds great! It’s still portable because it is so light, and it’s pretty easy to find 8 ohm 10-inch speakers to wire together for the 4 ohm load. It also addresses the “small” sound that’s hard to avoid with the Champ cabinet. And it’s a totally reversible mod!

That said, I have heard a Vibro Champ with a Weber Alnico 8” speaker and it sounded big enough that I could have sworn it was a 10” in there. Also, if you plan to mic up a Champ, you can get it to sound plenty big through the PA without any modifications at all.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 70’s Champ’s baffle is also glued in. I did something many might consider silly, but I bought a Deluxe Reverb cabinet and put two 10’s in there along with the Champ chassis. It sounds great! It’s still portable because it is so light, and it’s pretty easy to find 8 ohm 10-inch speakers to wire together for the 4 ohm load. It also addresses the “small” sound that’s hard to avoid with the Champ cabinet. And it’s a totally reversible mod!

That said, I have heard a Vibro Champ with a Weber Alnico 8” speaker and it sounded big enough that I could have sworn it was a 10” in there. Also, if you plan to mic up a Champ, you can get it to sound plenty big through the PA without any modifications at all.

Interesting idea. I also did something similar with a Peavey 10 in amp into a Fender 12 in cab and it sounds good. When i tried the Champ a few months ago i had it miked and your right it sounded great.Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So not gonna try and fit a 10 in in it and if i need to will get a small extension cab. Gonna keep it with a 8 in. I gigged it last night and it needs a speaker update for sure. Anyone recommend a 8 in 4 ohm for the Champ that will give me a bit more head room?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Anyone recommend a 8 in 4 ohm for the Champ that will give me a bit more head room?
I think it was the Weber 8A125 that I heard that sounded great. You can get a 3.2 ohm version (what the Champ actually wants to see, but 4 ohm is close enough if you want something else), and if you wanted more headroom you could get the 30W instead of the 20W.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think it was the Weber 8A125 that I heard that sounded great. You can get a 3.2 ohm version (what the Champ actually wants to see, but 4 ohm is close enough if you want something else), and if you wanted more headroom you could get the 30W instead of the 20W.
Very interesting. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts