The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted something new for a while, seeing the 'best/worst purchase' thread and a few smaller amps get listed I thought I'd try for a smaller head that was able to record well. I found a Suhr Corso.

Anyone try one, have one? Love it, hate it? Do share....

full disclosure, I ordered a used one but don't know what to expect

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Sounds/feels cool in a small setting, but it has zero headroom. It's definitely a dirty-only amp, and one suited for low-volume or recording.

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, Cool. I am going after a different way to record but also thought it may be neat to hear tube breakup at lower volumes. I am confused about the headroom, the YT reviews seem to show it playing fairly clean with single coils, is that misleading? is Pete Thorn a liar?

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,032 Posts
The moulded wood looks sharp...12BH7s in the output...bet ya that's got a very clean sound to it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Trying to locate a schematic for it. Do you know if it is fixed-bias or cathode bias?

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trying to locate a schematic for it. Do you know if it is fixed-bias or cathode bias?
not a clue. I also would like to know the details. I'll look up a manual later (I know it isn't a schematic), mostly to make sure I don't mess up the transformers using the line out with the attenuator while running it silent. Not as much info on these as I thought there would be. John and Jim went in to some detail on TGP supposedly but I haven't found the thread yet. I want to know why it was discontinued but all the reviews seem to be fairly positive.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
According to the data sheet, the 12BH7 can dissipate 3.5W per triode × 2...7W for an advertised 5W amp, no BS there.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I believe so. 5W is enough power with efficient loads, for most audio applications.
Right now, there is not many requirements for high power applications.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Sorry correction, the output uses 2×12BH7...double that power to 14W for the output, depending on the class of service, A or above...14W is plenty.

Specifications: One channel, 5W output (variable)
Tubes: 2×12BH7A (output), 1-12AU7 (Input) and 2 ×12AX7 (Tone and PI) Front Panel: Input, Bright Switch, Drive, Mid Switch, Treble, Gain Switch, Bass, Presence Switch, Deep Switch
Power and On/Off switch
Back Panel: AC Mains Inlet, Fuse (1A/250V (Slo-Blow), 2×8Ω spker. outputs and Line Out

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here is a hokey little number I recorded during some disappointing play by the Oilers. rhythm parts were against the Leafs, we lost that one. lead parts (on the new Corso) were against the Canucks, we came back to win. jazzed up the drums a bit tonight to have some dynamics. the guitars were recorded live, drums are programmed and the bass was direct. Corso has a little compression and reverb in post, otherwise all amp

https://soundcloud.com/tom-jones2012%2Foilers-losing-project-2021-05-04-1111-pm

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol. this is more of a joke track, that guy is for serious.

anyways, I'll record some proper clips of the amp in the coming rainy days. So far I appreciate it being present in the room at lower volumes, you don't have to keep feathering the volume knob under 2 to keep the walls from shaking. All the options it has for tone control at this lower wattage is very useful and something lacking on a lot of other low watt amps, seems you can always dial in the high end even with attenuation. and, yea, not much headroom, as expected. but you can get some clean-ish sounds if needed.

I also need to give the line out silent option a try, that may be the most useful part of it

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tubes: 2×12BH7A (output), 1-12AU7 (Input) and 2 ×12AX7 (Tone and PI)
Can you explain the input and the tone and phase inverter here? I'm mostly confused on what the AU7 does. and how would these tubes fall if we looked at the amp in a V1, V2, etc.. sort of way?

for fun, here is some gut shots, I'm sure you enjoy this sort of thing like I do

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
2×12BH7A (output), 1-12AU7 (Input) and 2 ×12AX7 (Tone and PI)
First drawing below: from their spec sheet VI (input) will be a 12AU7...you should be able to confirm that, top-side.
The tube next to V1, should be a 12AX7 (V2), again you can confirm that top-side. According to the spec sheet the 12AX7 serves as tone (V2) and PI should be V3...more to come.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Second drawing: V3(12AX7) should be the PI, with V4(12BH7) and V5(12BH7) the output tubes...confirm top-side.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Third drawing: output tubes V4 and V5, paralleled, 12BH7A triodes; V4, pin I (brown-wire P1), is one half of the primary for the output transformer and V5, pin 1 (blue-wire P2) is the other half of the primary for the output transformer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts