The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
6sj7 makes it not like a champ. Single pentode preamp tube vs dual triode. That may be better depending on your prefs.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
You're thinking of later Champs.
was there a champ that didn't use a 12AX7? If so then that would have been very early and short lived - most Champs were Ax based so to say Champ-like would imply that. 5F1 as mentioned above was AX. Or 7025 - same thing.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
was there a champ that didn't use a 12AX7? If so then that would have been very early and short lived - most Champs were Ax based so to say Champ-like would imply that. 5F1 as mentioned above was AX.
First three versions used a 6SJ7- the Champijon 800, Champion 600 and the Wide Panel Champ (5C1, 5D1)... so from 1948 to 1955.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Cool; didn't know that (not a Fender guy and I bet those things ain't cheap or common these days).... but I think it bares clarification ('original' 'early' or 'early 50's) cuz most folks will think of the 5E1 and later Champ circuits otherwise.

Def didn't help that someone said '5F1" above.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
I missed this first time around, super cool. Running it or getting it looked at? I’d say it should be, even if just briefly...caps etc, tho I suppose if it runs and sounds good why bother? Champs are great, would be curious to hear this at full or most volume.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts