The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold off a bunch of amps I had gathered over some time in order to get a few (what I consider to be) legendary amps! Ordered these in December and got them delivered about 5 days apart.

Morris XSIII. Modified to be powered with 6550's and puts out a very clean 113 watts. Built by the master amp builder, Glen Morris.

Revv Generator 120. 4-channel monster amp biased with KT88's and some of the most brutal gain structures between the purple and red channels. So much OOMPH!!! Hand built in Manitoba.

I made them match so they look cute together. ;)

20180515_201942.jpg

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Wow...that's crazy power right there.
I'm in Montreal, can you put them outside pointed East so I can hear what they sound like?
Say, 6pm.
I'll be out on my deck facing West.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Congrats!

Im astounded that the morris only puts out 113W. Thats what my 2203 does (may have been 120?) with EL34's.

Once my OT blows im probably gonna 6550 it and try for 200W clean.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW. I been drooling over the Morris beast that's been at Paul's Boutique recently.
That amp is crazy cool! It was originally made for the bassist of Cancer Bats. It's 2 badass power amps built into one unit, but still needs two plugs to use both power sections, as he gave each side their own cord so there was no power loss down the line.

not going to be drowned out by the loud drummer with these two :)
I haven't even explored noon on either amps master volumes and my drummer pal had to hit hard to stay in the mix. I like to test his strength :)

Wow...that's crazy power right there.
I'm in Montreal, can you put them outside pointed East so I can hear what they sound like?
Say, 6pm.
I'll be out on my deck facing West.
Damn! Missed your 6pm call time. Try again tomorrow, same time? If you hear a Pantera or Alice In Chains riff it's probably me....

Nice [email protected]!

Love the matching! Nice touch.

I ll take some of mine outside so that we can jam together. .. I'm just next door in Montreal ! HNG^%$
Sounds good, but dont bring out the slouches in volume!!! #nocomboamps hahah

Congrats!

Im astounded that the morris only puts out 113W. Thats what my 2203 does (may have been 120?) with EL34's.

Once my OT blows im probably gonna 6550 it and try for 200W clean.
That rating is just at the onset of clipping on the oscillioscope, at 30VAC into 8ohms. So I believe it could effectively go higher, but he was just interested in testing it at its stability. Not to mention his designs are created in a way where anything unnecessary is left out, making for a very clean path. Regardless of that, jcm800's are not, and never have been, slouches by any stretch!!
I would suggest when the OT goes you take it to Glen to modify like that and he'll build you an absolute stunner that'll never let you down!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just gave the amp a small upgrade. Swapped the white knobs for some black ones so it matches the Morris even more, plus give it that darker tone their known for.... :D
2018-05-16_19.25.26.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Purple Jesus!!!

upload_2018-5-17_7-4-32.jpeg

That amp is crazy cool! It was originally made for the bassist of Cancer Bats. It's 2 badass power amps built into one unit, but still needs two plugs to use both power sections, as he gave each side their own cord so there was no power loss down the line.
I don't quite get the reasoning. Unless each side draws more than 15A (>1500 watts), dual power cables seems excessive. That also means you'd have to run them off two different AC receptacles off two separate breakers. And 1500 watts of input power should equate to at least 700 or 800 watts of output power. Per channel. Is the output that big?

I bought a bunch or SS power amps from an Australian company (Australian Monitor) decades ago for a commercial sound project I was designing and installing. The amps would routinely trip 15A breakers during power-up (inrush current charging the PS caps). 20A breakers worked better. But that was a little design issue since the amps were designed to operate at 240V mains, and not 120V. So current consumption double to compensate for half the voltage.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I don't quite get the reasoning. Unless each side draws more than 15A (>1500 watts), dual power cables seems excessive.
I think it would be if each side draws more than half of 15A ? As the combined draw of the 2 sides would then be popping your standard 15A line breaker? That would still seem to mean more than 900W draw per side though.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I think it would be if each side draws more than half of 15A ? As the combined draw of the 2 sides would then be popping your standard 15A line breaker? That would still seem to mean more than 900W draw per side though.
Right you are. The combination of the two would have to draw enough current to trip the breaker before requiring a second feed. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Right you are. The combination of the two would have to draw enough current to trip the breaker before requiring a second feed. Thanks for the heads-up.
I'm guessing there may have been issues of nuisance tripping in venues with crappy wiring, or he wanted to be sure that wouldn't be an issue. Still, as you say, it would have to be plugged in to 2 separate lines (breakers) to have effect.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I'm guessing there may have been issues of nuisance tripping in venues with crappy wiring, or he wanted to be sure that wouldn't be an issue. Still, as you say, it would have to be plugged in to 2 separate lines (breakers) to have effect.
Don't we wish we had 230V AC mains? My screwdrivers would be even shorter .............. :D

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I don't quite get the reasoning. Unless each side draws more than 15A (>1500 watts), dual power cables seems excessive. That also means you'd have to run them off two different AC receptacles off two separate breakers. And 1500 watts of input power should equate to at least 700 or 800 watts of output power. Per channel. Is the output that big?

I bought a bunch or SS power amps
from an Australian company
(Australian Monitor) decades ago for a commercial sound project I was designing and installing. The amps would routinely trip 15A breakers during power-up (inrush current charging the PS caps). 20A breakers worked better. But that was a little design issue since the amps were
designed to operate at 240V mains, and not 120V. So current consumption double to compensate for half the voltage.
It's a standard thing in hi end hi-fi - isolated mono blocks. At 100 watts per side I doubt it's gonna draw more than 7 amps, but it is nice to have the option if the power is shoddy ( or the circuit is really loaded down already).

Barring that the main benefit is the isolation, but you can achieve that with just separate PTs.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Yes, that's more what I'm used to seeing. Isolation purposes in hi-fi, reducing channel crosstalk with either dual power supplies off 1 AC cable or dual AC cables, or as you mentioned to dual monoblocks, one behind each speaker (which has the added benefit of very short speaker cables).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts