The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded up my AX8 for a Friedman Pink Taco amp. Drive through horrendous rain to get to it, but I think it was worth it!!
It has some mods done to it and I'm curious if anyone here can help me place whether or not they're Friedman modded. The guy I got it from had gotten the amp this way and wasn't sure himself.. it has two switches added to the front, and a two-knob 2nd channel added from the back panel, with one of the 8-ohm speaker outs being used as the jack for the channel selector.
Regardless of who did the mods this 20watt monster slays!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I could be wrong but doesn’t seem like Friedman mods, if they were I would think it would be his gain structure switch and maybe Sat switch? The mods look useful none the less!

Congrats on the new amp! I have a Smallbox and had a Dirty Shirley, Dave makes some great amps!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just traded up my AX8 for a Friedman Pink Taco amp. Drive through horrendous rain to get to it, but I think it was worth it!!
It has some mods done to it and I'm curious if anyone here can help me place whether or not they're Friedman modded. The guy I got it from had gotten the amp this way and wasn't sure himself.. it has two switches added to the front, and a two-knob 2nd channel added from the back panel, with one of the 8-ohm speaker outs being used as the jack for the channel selector.
Regardless of who did the mods this 20watt monster slays!!!
Heres Daves email address, "[email protected]" provide the serial# and ask him if they did the modifications. I have talked to Dave several times and he always got back to me!!!
A great company!

btw...I have the Mini Dirty Shirley an absolute monster amp for classic rock tones!!!
hope this has been helpful!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Good trade! I am envious!

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what happened? Not what you were after ? 4 days, no love
It's not quite that. I really like what the amp does, but the trade always was to get this amp as a possible upsell/trade. I'm set for amps (except for a 1st gen Sunn Model T) and am just really wanting to pay off my most recent guitar purchase. An amazing Yamaha SG1820A with Suhr Thornbuckers replacing the EMG's.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What made you sell the AX8? A friend of mine is considering one but he loves his amps and pedals, so is hedging.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Wow dude, you certainly went the other way with that one. I continue to be impressed with where you find all these amps that I never ever see around.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Pink tacos always give me a hard on! I brought my amp to a buds rehearsal to a/b it with my amp as I heard they get very similar sound if you wanted. We both cranked it into similar 412s, dialed in similar tones then did a true blindfold test by letting him try each one into the same cab with the same guitar. He was convinced it was the taco he was bangin' and his smile went away pretty quick when he turned around...

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What made you sell the AX8? A friend of mine is considering one but he loves his amps and pedals, so is hedging.
The main thing that made me sell it was it added to my set up time live, as I still like to use it through a 4x12 cab and used a rack poweramp to run it. That, and in all honesty it does fuzz tones terribly and I love fuzz. Best reverbs and delays as far as I'm concerned, and the amp sims are honestly quite incredible, but a hefty piece of equipment to only use 10% of its abilities.

Wow dude, you certainly went the other way with that one. I continue to be impressed with where you find all these amps that I never ever see around.
Thanks GG!! I'm just on kijiji and stuff quite a lot, plus I don't mind making far drives. One time I drove to New Hampshire to do a trade deal for a guitar I'd otherwise never be able to attain. There's nothing more to finding these deals hahah.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This amp is also now for sale for $1650. Ive had my fun and now I'm trying to fund for the next thing. Just a heads up.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
The main thing that made me sell it was it added to my set up time live, as I still like to use it through a 4x12 cab and used a rack poweramp to run it. That, and in all honesty it does fuzz tones terribly and I love fuzz. Best reverbs and delays as far as I'm concerned, and the amp sims are honestly quite incredible, but a hefty piece of equipment to only use 10% of its abilities.
To be fair, most fractal anything owners are using maybe 20% of what the unit can do ;)

In my short experience, I find the fuzz options depend greatly on what amp you're running the pedal into. I was using Chuck's JMP and found an awesome mastadon-esque fuzz tone, which didn't translate with my JCM800. I am guessing real fuzz pedals do this as well (since my friend's OR15 dislikes a pedal his SS Peavey loves).

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be fair, most fractal anything owners are using maybe 20% of what the unit can do ;)

In my short experience, I find the fuzz options depend greatly on what amp you're running the pedal into. I was using Chuck's JMP and found an awesome mastadon-esque fuzz tone, which didn't translate with my JCM800. I am guessing real fuzz pedals do this as well (since my friend's OR15 dislikes a pedal his SS Peavey loves).
Haha yes this can be true, but I have a few go-to fuzzes that can be tweaked to work with any head I've ever used. My WMD Geiger Counter, FuzzFactory 7, SnK Reptilian to name a few... I honestly couldn't find or tweak any of the fuzz sims to get a sound as great as any of the aforementioned fuzzes through an actual amp. I will relinquish that the error was most likely on my side though, and just decided to do what makes my life easier.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Oh I totally get it! I'm not slandering your decision to sell, just wanted to add my experience.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This amp is also now for sale for $1650. Ive had my fun and now I'm trying to fund for the next thing. Just a heads up.
Probably not a bad idea. For a fraction of the price you can get that sound if you want, although what I tried wasn't heavily modded.

Sent from my H3223 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts