The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. I bought a well used Peavey Bandit 112 USA-made red stripe with the Sheffield Speaker. Over on the right hand side of the control panel is the Master section. None of the controls over here do anything. Reverb doesn't work, Presence doesn't work and neither does the Tube Dynamics. The amp's hiss does increase as some of these controls are moved to max. I offered $40.00 less than what the guy was asking and he accepted. In the end I paid $140.00 for it. It sounds good and I don't really miss having this section but was looking for some feedback on options. Thanks!

Product Audio equipment Technology Electronic device Diagram

·
Registered
867 Posts
Peavey has a reputation of not being very repair friendly. Never hurts to open her up to see if everything is connected

Hopefully you know basic amp repair safety? Unplug the amp. Can you recognize the filter caps? They sometimes hold their charge.
I guess I said “never hurts “ a bit too soon.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peavey has a reputation of not being very repair friendly. Never hurts to open her up to see if everything is connected

Hopefully you know basic amp repair safety? Unplug the amp. Can you recognize the filter caps? They sometimes hold their charge.
I guess I said “never hurts “ a bit too soon.
Ha ha, yes. I know about the capacitors and their ability to hold a charge. I will open her up and see if there's anything obviously damaged or disconnected. P.S. for some reason, I like watching the Guitologist's YouTube channel.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Ha ha, yes. I know about the capacitors and their ability to hold a charge. I will open her up and see if there's anything obviously damaged or disconnected. P.S. for some reason, I like watching the Guitologist's YouTube channel.
It's solid state. With the exception of the AC input, I wouldn't expect anything more than 70 VDC. And probably less - that's the rail voltage of big power amps.

Still better safe than sorry. But 70 is just a little tickle compared to 500.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Text Plan Floor plan Technical drawing Drawing
Text Diagram Technical drawing Font Line
Ok. I took it apart tonight and removed the daughterboard. Nothing evident but most of the circuitry is on the bottom of the main PCB. I disassembled the reverb tank and all is ok there also.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
It's solid state. With the exception of the AC input, I wouldn't expect anything more than 70 VDC. And probably less - that's the rail voltage of big power amps.

Still better safe than sorry. But 70 is just a little tickle compared to 500.
70 is just enough to get some folks excited.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Probably oxidized connectors that got 'cleaned' by being disconnected and reconnected again. It looks like the reverb pot and presence pot are on different boards, so oxidization seems more likely than a multiple bad solder connections. However, if the problem comes back, you can have a look for bad solder issues.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Probably oxidized connectors that got 'cleaned' by being disconnected and reconnected again. It looks like the reverb pot and presence pot are on different boards, so oxidization seems more likely than a multiple bad solder connections. However, if the problem comes back, you can have a look for bad solder issues.
My thoughts exactly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts