The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, based on a recommendation by @Roryfan I decided to head up to see Glen Morris yesterday (or should I say he decided to see me...a bit reclusive I'm told, haha).
And, as a guest, I couldn't be rude when he asked if I'd like to try one of his prototypes HNG^%$ . Right? Right. I was shocked to hear on the middle setting of my Brian Monty with the knobs rolled back a bit, I nailed a tone that had been eluding me for years. Actually, Glen nailed it. He built the amp and he was adjusting knobs on the amp and my guitar for me.

Glen and I both looked at eachother with our eyes the size of plates. He new the EXACT youtube video I was referring to... it was a Joe Bonamassa blues lick demo where he played through a Lazy J. I ordered a Lazy J20 to get that sound and couldn't dial it in, unfortunately. The perplex'd got it no problem. Glen asked that I demo that tone for his website and play a few licks in that vein, and I was extremely flattered (and immediately nervous, haha) @davetcan - you remember that hunt I was on?

I actually went there to have him repair an amp of mine. I had no intention of buying an amp...but I did. Further, to top it off, we spent about 8 hours together modding/repairing the other amp that he transformed into something very similar to his perplex'd. The amp was virtually unusable and is now incredible (needed an OT swab and a good portion of the guts removed.

So... all in all, I just bought an amp that nails every classic marshall tone PLUS the elusive tweed tone I was after. Oh, did I mention the chime...What?!? It literally rang like a bell..so harmonically rich. I'm not sure if I could get that to come across in a demo vid, but I might try. No amp I have ever played has done that before.

I'm still in awe.

Just so I don't mess up any more info, just check out Glen's facebook page:

Morris Amps

EDIT: It also does the 80s metal and high gain thing damn good too.

EDIT #2: The larger version of this amp is 30 watts with two output transformers to keep it pure class A with 4/8/16ohm taps and they both have a tube effects loop.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Well, based on a recommendation by @Roryfan I decided to head up to see Glen Morris yesterday (or should I say he decided to see me...a bit reclusive I'm told, haha).
And, as a guest, I couldn't be rude when he asked if I'd like to try one of his prototypes HNG^%$ . Right? Right. I was shocked to hear on the middle setting of my Brian Monty with the knobs rolled back a bit, I nailed a tone that had been eluding me for years. Actually, Glen nailed it. He built the amp and he was adjusting knobs on the amp and my guitar for me.

Glen and I both looked at eachother with our eyes the size of plates. He new the EXACT youtube video I was referring to... it was a Joe Bonamassa blues lick demo where he played through a Lazy J. I ordered a Lazy J20 to get that sound and couldn't dial it in, unfortunately. The perplex'd got it no problem. Glen asked that I demo that tone for his website and play a few licks in that vein, and I was extremely flattered (and immediately nervous, haha) @davetcan - you remember that hunt I was on?

I actually went there to have him repair an amp of mine. I had no intention of buying an amp...but I did. Further, to top it off, we spent about 8 hours together modding/repairing the other amp that he transformed into something very similar to his perplex'd. The amp was virtually unusable and is now incredible (needed an OT swab and a good portion of the guts removed.

So... all in all, I just bought an amp that nails every classic marshall tone PLUS the elusive tweed tone I was after. Oh, did I mention the chime...What?!? It literally rang like a bell..so harmonically rich. I'm not sure if I could get that to come across in a demo vid, but I might try. No amp I have ever played has done that before.

I'm still in awe.

Congrats !!!
Now that you got us all curious , will you be able to post a clip of your new baby ?

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
WOW!!...now you have TWO amps that get the tones you have been looking for!
CONGRATS!

I remember that J.B. video.

You must be floating about a foot off the ground now that you have found your elusive tone, especially given the time and energy you have put into the search!

Can you tell us (briefly) about the amps? (e.g., output power, tubes, comb/head, speakers, reverb..) Thanks

ENJOY!!

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW!!...now you have TWO amps that get the tones you have been looking for!
CONGRATS!

I remember that J.B. video.

You must be floating about a foot off the ground now that you have found your elusive tone, especially given the time and energy you have put into the search!

Can you tell us (briefly) about the amps? (e.g., output power, tubes, comb/head, speakers, reverb..) Thanks

ENJOY!!
Yeah, I'm pretty happy. Hard to find exact specs online, but I know it's the 15 watt version of the regular perplex'd. Differences that I know of are the single channel versus 3 and 1 el34 instead of 2. Here's the STANDARD perplex'd specs:

“The Morris Perplex’d is the one. It has an incredible clean channel and can deliver any and every classic Marshall Plexi tone you could want at any volume and at any gain level you desire…with tone that is incomparable. Game Over!!!” – Cliff

SPECS
  • Three channel, clean, rhythm (w/master), lead (w/master)
  • Channels are footswitchable (w/leds)
  • 45 watts
  • Solid state rectification
  • 2 x EL34 output tubes- 4 x 12AX7 preamp tubes
  • Tube buffered effects loop
  • 4/8/16 output impedance
  • Custom transformers
  • Dimensions: (H) 9″ x (W) 26″ x (D) 8-1/4″ (Small British head box size)

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There must be a Help Line somewhere for those waiting for new amps and guitars.
If he didn't turn my other amp into a clone of his perplex'd to tie me over, I'd probably be jonesing a little more. It's not exact, but it's close enough that I feel like I already have one. They will be a perfect compliment to each other in stereo.

I have to get some greenbacks in my 4x12 before it arrives anyway.

·
Administrator
15,984 Posts

I'm still in awe.

I remember it well :)

edit - I had to retract my statement, I was getting Glen confused with Rob Fowler at Classic Amps for some strange reason. (early onset dementia most likely)

·
Administrator
15,984 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty happy. Hard to find exact specs online, but I know it's the 15 watt version of the regular perplex'd. Differences that I know of are the single channel versus 3 and 1 el34 instead of 2. Here's the STANDARD perplex'd specs:

“The Morris Perplex’d is the one. It has an incredible clean channel and can deliver any and every classic Marshall Plexi tone you could want at any volume and at any gain level you desire…with tone that is incomparable. Game Over!!!” – Cliff

SPECS
  • 45 watts
  • Custom transformers
You seem to have omitted the price :)

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Glad you found that tone, can't wait to hear the Perplex'd Jr. & Glenn's rework on the other M.

Did you get the Ox 4s in your Monty?

Don't be too hasty to touch that 412, it sounds pretty good as is. When the new head is done, bring it by on your way home. I have a few smaller cabs loaded with an assortment of vintage Celestions for you to plug into.

P.S. I'm MUCH closer to Welland than you are & would be happy to pick the amp up from Glenn. ;-)

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
I think I'm due for a trip to Welland.... going to bring Glenn my '69 20W JMP Trem to see if he can make it less noisy (could also be the wiring in my house and/or proximity to the hydro corridor) and A/B that amp, which has been my gold standard for rock tone, with the Perplex'd Jr.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So is it the Perplex’D Jr that you ended up ordering? Or is it a totally new design?

Congrats and can’t wait to see pics and hear clips :D
It is the perplex'd junior. I couldn't think of anything else I would want in an amp.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

SPECS
  • 45 watts
  • Custom transformers

Oops, I got mixed up with the 45/50watt.

The larger version of this amp is 30 watts with two output transformers to keep it pure class A with 4/8/16ohm taps and they both have a tube effects loop.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts