The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
download.png
So after swearing i would never get another tube amp, this one came home with me today. What can i say, it was on my bucket list but could not justify spending that much on this little guy when it was new. Its cream coloured, pretty clean for an older amp, no rips in the tolex. Sounds glorious to my ears. Looking forward to gigging it. Anyone else have opinions on these, good or bad ? Much appreciated.

Photo is generic but its the same condition and colour.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
in my opinion anything Mesa is great :)
And especially if it is good for you - then it is most definitely great!

But - you know - pictures or did NOT happen

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in my opinion anything Mesa is great :)
And especially if it is good for you - then it is most definitely great!

But - you know - pictures or did NOT happen
LOL, i know but my wife has the cel. with her so first off gotta find the right moment to tell her and then if i am lucky and still alive, she can take a pic.LOL

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Had a .22 with the 5 band graphic, it was an excellent little amp and loud as all getout. I changed out the speaker for a Greenback, rounded off the very forward tone a lot, and gave it some grit at lower volume - I believe it was a less efficient speaker than the stock Mesa.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a .22 with the 5 band graphic, it was an excellent little amp and loud as all getout. I changed out the speaker for a Greenback, rounded off the very forward tone a lot, and gave it some grit at lower volume - I believe it was a less efficient speaker than the stock Mesa.
I think there is a Eminence in it now. It sounds really nice and full

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
I know some people love them, and they aren't as common as the rectos and marks.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a friend who gigged one of these steadily during the nineties. He would pair it with a closed back extension cab and it sounded great.

·
Registered
913 Posts
saaaaweeeet!

Nice find Marcos! I have an earlier model than yours that I acquired from Davetcan. I run it into a Mesa Boogie Closed Back 1x12 wide body cabinet.

It is currently my one and only guitar amp, but I'm not a gigging musician. I recently sold a Mesa Express 5x25 Head and previous to that, a Fender Blues Jr Tweed III in favour of the Studio. The Express was more versatile but lacked a unique character that the Studio has in spades. The Blues jr was nice, but I liked the MB Studio better and it was my dream amp back in '92 so it has a history for me.

To personalize it, I switched the cloth covering to a blue-silver which looks pretty cool under lights. It sparkles! I also replaced the V1 tube with a 5751 which has made the drive more functional. I was finding with the 12AX7 that after about 3 on the Volume pot, there was little discernible difference. The 5751 provides more sweep imho. Bought the Tubes from Lauzon when I was in Ottawa. These amps run hot though. The PCBs on these amps typically show signs of overheat. So if you ever take the chassis out or have it serviced, don't be surprised. Till death due us part as far as I'm concerned. And then I'll buy another.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
saaaaweeeet!

Nice find Marcos! I have an earlier model than yours that I acquired from Davetcan. I run it into a Mesa Boogie Closed Back 1x12 wide body cabinet.

It is currently my one and only guitar amp, but I'm not a gigging musician. I recently sold a Mesa Express 5x25 Head and previous to that, a Fender Blues Jr Tweed III in favour of the Studio. The Express was more versatile but lacked a unique character that the Studio has in spades. The Blues jr was nice, but I liked the MB Studio better and it was my dream amp back in '92 so it has a history for me.

To personalize it, I switched the cloth covering to a blue-silver which looks pretty cool under lights. It sparkles! I also replaced the V1 tube with a 5751 which has made the drive more functional. I was finding with the 12AX7 that after about 3 on the Master pot, there was little discernible difference. The 5751 provides more sweep imho. Bought the Tubes from Lauzon when I was in Ottawa. These amps run hot though. The PCBs on these amps typically show signs of overheat. So if you ever take the chassis out or have it serviced, don't be surprised. Till death due us part as far as I'm concerned. And then I'll buy another.

Extra cool bonus points for the Kiss Pez dispensers. Just don't let Gene see them, he want back-royalties.

I also use a closed-back widebody 112 with my open back combo LSS. Best of both worlds, IMO. You get the airiness and dispersion of the open back, but the solid bottom end of the closed back.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Everytime I see something from amagras it's super cool...even the Satch Strap! Awesome playing. New album on it's way?
Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate your compliment! That strap is so old is falling apart but it was a gift from a very good friend and it's been with me for over 10 years.

I have a new album on its way, it's almost finished but I have to wait until 2018 to release it. Lots of MesaBoogie tones on it, from plugins this time. I have a model from IK Multimedia that sounds very close to the one @marcos just got.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts