The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried telling myself, let it go, let someone else pick up this deal. A week went by, so I guess it was meant to be.

After all, I have way too many amps for an old hack guitar enthusiast. My little Mesa Mini Rectifier Twenty Five is a blast, with great cleans and lots of driven tone choice. The big 212 Mesa F-100 is simply awesome in every way, except one major area, the burden of weight.

I have a closed back C90 Mesa widebody cab for use with several amp heads. I was keeping my eyes open for a used Mesa V30 open back widebody cab. Also a Mesa 5 band EQ pedal would be nice.

The new little combo amp, just might cover all the bases. Time will tell. I picked it up yesterday. The owner also had a similar sized Mesa Rectoverb 25 available. Both had a few months of use, sealed owners manual, and hang tags. The combo I chose also had the nice foot switch with a really long cord, and a cover.

So far I have been exclusively using the 5 watt class A mode. The foot switch runs A/B channel choice, reverb, EQ, and Solo boost. I have lots to learn, and lots to compare to/with. I have yet to add the closed back cab. I am expecting greatness in a more manageable package.

The cleans are nice and offer the most versatility I have ever experienced. That is as far as I have gotten so far. I will try another channel setting tomorrow.

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I just spent the last hour with an A/BY switch between my FSR Fudge Brownie PRRI and the Mesa on 5 watt or 15 watt class A. I was using the highly effective Gibson Epiphone Spotlight Nouveau. The sustain was always better on the Mesa, at similar settings. The Spotlight does impressive humbucker and single coil tone.

The PRRI is class A/B, and the best sounds that it can produce, are matched with ease on the Mesa. The use of reverb, or without is also a match to my ears. The well matched 10” Jensen P10Q in the Fender is no slouch now that it is broken in. I hear no difference in the amps with their respective 10” vs. 12” speakers, with any of the best sounds the PRRI can generate, and the Mesa can easily copy. All of this is a complete surprise to me. I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in a blind test. However, the Mesa can add dimension and variation at the foot switch. Briefly switching the Mesa to class A/B, the amp becomes quite loud at similar settings. I have to go back to find the matching settings on the Fender vs. Mesa when I remember.

I added the nearest Tremolo pedal within reach, a seldom used Voodoo Lab into the Mesa effects loop. The settings the pedal was left at, were pretty much spot on.

Kicking in preset EQ, or Solo on the Mesa adds welcome variety, including the ability to roll off volume or tone knobs on the guitar. The base settings that I traditionally use on the Fender are what I call ‘classic’, and instantly recognizable in recorded music.

I did do brief crunch, blues and burn modes without much attention to settings. This will be better studied when comparing A/BY to other amps that do those things well. I had to for curiosity sake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts