The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have gone through a lot of small amps. I have a small space in my livingroom.
I have loved the utube clips of this amp, and it delivers.
I am picky about my clean tone. I want a certain tone, and I can get it with this amp.
Plus, it's super flexible with the footswitch and contour button.
It will be perfect as its small and light, but loud enough so when I do the occasional jam it will cut through.
Here is the clean tone I have had in my head and have not found with most small amps.
I finally can nail it.

Plus, I can get this tone, which is my favorite overdrive tone. I bet I am happy with this amp for at least 2-3 weeks...maybe, just maybe...even longer!

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
Our lead player uses one, on 5W mode, in a medium loud rock band. He gets great tone, with a Les Paul.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
I'm generally not a Mesa fan after having gone through several of them. But the Express was my fav of the bunch.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well...I did pay top dollar for what these go for. So I doubt I would be able to sell it.
It really does suit my needs very well. I hardly ever play with an amp one, so I won't get tired of it.
I just need to play Beast of Burden and it puts a smile on my face.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Plus, I can get this tone, which is my favorite overdrive tone. I bet I am happy with this amp for at least 2-3 weeks...maybe, just maybe...even longer!
I can't speak specifically to the Express line (I've never owned one or played on in anger) but, in general, Mesa's have enough variety in their sound (very active tone stack, voicing switches, power amp settings, etc) to keep you busy / satisfied for years. Well, most normal people, anyways. Gear sluts, maybe not so much? ;)

And I haven't found many live situations that a 2 EL84 Mesa amp can't keep up. I can't say that for a number of other 2 EL84 amps I own. Something about Mesa's power supplies, I think. Matchless a a few other boutiquie amps are like this, too.

Reactions: davetcan

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well..I just spent another couple of hours, and this amp will get some really nice tones.
I nailed Sunshine of your love. Not the lead, but that cool overdrive chord sound.
Very cool little amp fer sure!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a 5:25+ since a couple of years. Never had a regret. Gorgeous cleans and extremely versatile. But the Express series is now out of production so I suggest that if you see one for sale : grab it !

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have actually been looking for one for a year. I'm lucky to get this one. Its like new, with the cover and the big book of paper/maual they give. Its quite an impressive package.
The manual was actually written by a musician.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I have actually been looking for one for a year. I'm lucky to get this one. Its like new, with the cover and the big book of paper/maual they give. Its quite an impressive package.
The manual was actually written by a musician.
Not just manuals. Some of their other on-line literature is fun and educational. I particularly liked one Randall did on Class A, if you can find it.

I think the expression 'RTFM' may have come about because of Mesa amps. Dialing them in flies in the face of the way it was always done with traditional passive controls on Fenders and Marshalls that everyone was used to. Many people bitched and complained about the amps, because ....... they didn't RTFM.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The controls are bit different to use than a Fender, but its not too tough. I actually have bass mid treble all right around 12. The mids are really great on this amp and I have them slightly higher than the lows.
BTW...I have no idea what RTFM is.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
The controls are bit different to use than a Fender, but its not too tough. I actually have bass mid treble all right around 12. The mids are really great on this amp and I have them slightly higher than the lows.
BTW...I have no idea what RTFM is.
The controls are very active (lots of range) compared to the old passive controls in those other amps. And if you're playing with much gain (pre amp turned up), the treble control and midrange control are also part of the gain circuitry. And they interact quite a bit with each other and the gain control (i.e. if you adjust one, the others may have to be tweeked a bit, too).

I've had guys try and dial in my LSS without really having any experience with these controls. They swooped the treble and mid control through about 6 or 7 different settings without compensating for the adjustment with other controls. And then said the amp sounded crappy without realizing it was an I/O problem.

Read The F-goshdarn-ing Manual.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did read the manual, its very good. This is the first amp I have ever had where I have not got bored with it after a week, rather I am liking it more and more.
Its the first time I have gotten a real good vintage type 60's crunch like Zeppelin or Cream without having to crank the amp.
Its also by far the best most natural reverb.
Its awesome to have a separate reverb control for the higher gain channel.
I can't imagine living without that feature.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
I wasn't suggesting you read the manual - you obviously had already. I was just parsing out RTFM.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts