The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Marshall "custom shop" SV20H. Seems like all that is custom is the purple levant and a cool vintage logo and I dig that ( ... it's all in the details!). Came from the UK via Reverb and it's a 220V model. For now, I will be using a [22-Jan edit] step-up converter but I will be looking into changing the main voltage to 110V .. more details to follow.

Brown Musical instrument accessory Bag Electric blue Fashion accessory

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Marshall "custom shop" SV20H. Seems like all that is custom is the purple levant and a cool vintage logo and I dig that ( ... it's all in the details!). Came from the UK via Reverb and it's a 220V model. For now, I will be using a step-down converter but I will be looking into changing the main voltage to 110V .. more details to follow.

View attachment 461731
Nice! I’m looking forward to hearing that one!

· Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking at that exact amp. Do you have to replace the transformer in order to use it without a step down converter?
I hope not but so far everyone told me that I would have to (including the UK dealer and Marshall tech support).

Marshall schematic shows an internal switch (220V - 110V) so maybe it's that easy (plus the mains fuse of course). I can't imagine a global company adding to their cost/price by having different transformers in the same amp. I'll post an update here as soon as I know for sure.

If replacing the mains transformer is necessary, I'd probably leave the amp as it is and keep using the converter. I'm going to be using it only at home so the converter will not be a problem.

· Registered
2,681 Posts
Very nice amp .

In my opinion if there is a voltage selector, it would be external, not internal ; see picture).
This is the case for models manufactured for export, which would probably not be the case for your model wich are made fr G-B market .

Maybe inside there would be unused wires to the transformer that you could use to convert it to 125 volts?
I did it with a Wem 220 volt amp.

Schematic did not say voltages selector are inside, most chance it is outside

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Font Camera lens Circle
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

· Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Took a look inside and there’s nothing there to switch the voltage. Looks like replacing the mains transformer is the only way. For now I will continue with the step-up converter and maybe contact Vintage Tonewheels (walking distance from my place) to get an estimate.

I tried the amp dimed (except Normal volume at 2 o’clock) with a JHS Little Black Amp Box. Sweet!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts