The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went back and forth on pricing. Argued the reality check perspective, and then did what those American Pickers do and added something else into the mix to bring the price doooowwwwnnnn.

Now I'm a proud owner of a Soldano SLO and a Soldano cab.

I got to play it this morning. I was debating between this and a Fortin Bones, but once I played it, that was it.

(so now I know what the stink is all about, and I look forward to reeking for a while)

After trying a bunch of different delays and reverbs (I brought the amp to the guitar shop), it turns out the Boss DD-3 and RV-6 sound amazing through the amp - especially clean. I've decided to keep it for now.

Soldano.jpeg

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,107 Posts
Soldano For sale thread in 3...2...1...
He will wait at least a day after people stop posting on this thread....

Anyways, happy NAD #134 :)

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
Haha yeah I don’t think the sound Chuck is chasing is anything like drop C djent.

@Player99 if serious, Soldano amps really broke with Clapton I think late 80’s maybe a bit later, and became much more widely used as capable of quite a lot of nice tight gain. This was the model I believe, and Soldano may still be making them today.

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
So it came together then.

I give it a month, after the "This metroplex is the best" *listed* debacle :p

P

·
0 Posts
Haha yeah I don’t think the sound Chuck is chasing is anything like drop C djent.

@Player99 if serious, Soldano amps really broke with Clapton I think late 80’s maybe a bit later, and became much more widely used as capable of quite a lot of nice tight gain. This was the model I believe, and Soldano may still be making them today.
Thanks. I thought there was a Clapton connection, but I didn't know the timeline. Is it just Clapton or did it catch on in the big leagues?

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Thanks. I thought there was a Clapton connection, but I didn't know the timeline. Is it just Clapton or did it catch on in the big leagues?
I always like to use Equipboard to have an idea of who's using what, or what's being used by who
Reminds me close to nobody is using the boutique stuff the guitar geeks crave...

In the SLO100's case... big names

SLO 100

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
I always like to use Equipboard to have an idea of who's using what, or what's being used by who
Reminds me close to nobody is using the boutique stuff the guitar geeks crave...

In the SLO100's case... big names

SLO 100
Well, yeah. But at least some of those guys probably got endorsement deals or free amps. Not saying the bigger-name amp companies don’t sound good (they do), but money also plays a role.

Also, congrats on your latest rental amp, @Adcandour

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fortin Bones?

Boy did you dodge a bullet right there
Really? It sounds like it'd be right up my alley. Too much gain? I thought the low crunch setting sounded pretty sweet. The guy from The Salads (who I actually went to school with and inspired my interest in effects), Dave Ziemba, does a demo where it sounds awesome. I emailed Fortin and he said he had no amps in stock and was building to order. He lives relatively close, so I was hoping to pop by. I wasn't in the mood to put an order in for something I haven't tried.

I was initially interested in the Meshuggah sig. The 50 watt sounds amazing in the vids.

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
For some, the SLO100 is regarded as the ultimate amp for tracking leads.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I'm not going to lie. Sometimes I spend more time thinking about it than I should. A while ago I wanted a guitar specifically for it, so I was searching out this specific company - can't remember who.

The reason there's a recent jump in popularity (and price)is because Soldano closed shop. The transformers that only went in this model are no longer produced. They are apparently responsible for the next levelness of this amp.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts