The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might know I was planning to trade my Classic 50 for something with less wattage Peavey Classic 30 or 50? so now you might say "how in this world did this guy end up with 60w?" :) The answer is this amp has a great sound even at bedroom volume, the bass response is there and the classic Fender cleans and reverb too.
The "Master" volume is not a master volume, it's just the name they gave to the output volume control of the lead channel, so when you are on the clean channel the gain control is all you have, and is sounds great!
The 2 Celestion 12 are something I wanted as all my heroes use 12 with single coils, no disappointed at all, I guess someday I might want to switch to a couple of Greenbacks.
The lead channel doesn't sound so great as the bass response is somewhat dimmed but that can be useful when the amp is loud, also I'm still a pedal guy.
Couple more shots:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
How did you get it way up there :). I have had 2 HRD come through my place, so heavy but sounded great.

I had a few speakers in them, my favorite was the C Rex.

Congrats

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just connected it to the pedalboard, it sounds so beautiful that all the blues I had from selling the Peavey Classic is now gone. The tolex and grill cloth show that the amp has been gigged (got it for $500 on Kijiji) but that's not important right now. I'm happy!

·
Premium Member
18,579 Posts
CONGRATS!!

Great news, as I know you were looking for something different from your Classic 50.

I'm sure that you can even squeeze some great jazz tones out of that amp...Correct?

ENJOY!

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are great pedal platforms, with a unique clean tone. Still very fender, but different. I think it's because they are based on the tweed bassman, but voiced more towards a blackface clean.
That's a very good description, two of my favourite tube amps of all times! Thanks a lot! I've read that many people complain of the quality (none about the sound though,) and I would love to hear what's the consensus about it on GC (the one I trust most). The handle was broken but Next Gen have plenty, even on leather for less than 10.

Great news, as I know you were looking for something different from your Classic 50.

I'm sure that you can even squeeze some great jazz tones out of that amp...Correct?
Thanks Dave, I'm very happy, this is my first own fender amp and it meets all my expectations. The C50 was a great amp but I need more bass than it can deliver stock, I think my Peavey times are terminados.
About the jazzy tunes...I'm still afraid of even trying some standards in front of people, there's so much road in front... :)

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
That's a very good description, two of my favourite tube amps of all times! Thanks a lot! I've read that many people complain of the quality (none about the sound though,) and I would love to hear what's the consensus about it on GC (the one I trust most). The handle was broken but Next Gen have plenty, even on leather for less than 10.

Thanks Dave, I'm very happy, this is my first own fender amp and it meets all my expectations. The C50 was a great amp but I need more bass than it can deliver stock, I think my Peavey times are terminados.
About the jazzy tunes...I'm still afraid of even trying some standards in front of people, there's so much road in front... :)
Quality wise, I've seen people put a lot of miles on them with no issues at all. Apart from the handle of course. Biggest issue they are known to have is overheating a resistor in the channel switching circuit. Not a hard fix though.

Soundwise, the drive channel isn't the best OD tone and the more drive channel is pretty much useless.

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts
As said already, great pedal platform. Congrats on the find.

I'm always surprised how loud these suckers are - maybe it's just the volume taper but they seem 'big' for 2 6L6's. I'm way over 212 combos though - just too much weight for this old body to lug around. They sound great but owwwww, even lifting them into the car let alone up a flight of stairs. And I'm surprise, by V3 (I think they're at now), why they haven't sorted out that moucho unloved gain channel. Fender have made a few amps with decent gain channels, all it needs is a revoicing. A bit of R&D, probably very few different components required.

And curious why this is not in the amp section. Not uncommon, there's a big guitar build thread not in the guitar building section. But it's easy to miss the thread in this section. Unless of course you're plugging mics into it and looking for feedback on that? :D

Reactions: amagras

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And curious why this is not in the amp section.
I have no idea, I am almost sure I posted it in the amp section but there's a chance that I just got it wrong from the start, it's easy to get lost when posting from Tapatalk/phone instead of a real computer.

About the dirty channel, I think they didn't want it to compete with their higher end models or something, if you consider that the clean channel is almost perfect for almost any application... Thx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts