The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take a day off... lol...

I decided to stay home today after 13 work days straight. Was reading some post here and on facebook and decided to have a look at some local adds... this weird little add showed up with a Rev 3 combo converted into a head... :eek:spoke with the seller, went to see him and for a very little amount came home with a new amp !!! :D:D:D

Sellers pic:

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, full maintenance will be done and will re-tolex this baby.. It plays very nice and will rock...

Model LB100TR

Based on transformer date codes, this is a March 1972 unit.

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
Congratulations and Happy Birthday (again)!

If your amp was made in 1972, the beautiful girls in Milton, Wis. are now likely retired from "Folded Line"

What the heck is "controlled atmosphere conditions" all about?

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 4.41.12 PM.png

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Yep - the headshell is obvious conversion, but you can also tell by the model number (_100TR). There were some RevIII heads made, but only later 2 channel versions I think (like this one, which I can't believe sold for that much; time to sell my spare Sessionman vocal, damn: Garnet Revolution iii Vintage Tube Guitar Amp Head Serviced & Ready ) and the model name was _100D. D meaning head version of a model that was usually a combo.

Another cool score by Frenchie. And I bet he paid next to noffin for it too. Happy birthday indeed. That one at least should be easy to hide; smaller than your usual purchases.

The guitarist in one of my bands has a later 2 channel Rev III combo (2x12) and we like it a lot. He's found a new love for his Strat with it; he says it's very responsive to playing dynamics (more so than with his Tele - he never uses bridge only, which I think sounds perfect with this amp - I'm the one who found it at a local store and called him cuz it sounded so good with a random Tele they also had).

Anything from having HVAC (back then not so standard) - e.g. temp fluctuations could cause the springs to expand/contract so the length and therefore delay time/sound in general would not be consistant from tank to tank made at different times of year (or even day to day) - to clean room (which would be total overkill since the things aren't hermetically sealed).

·
Premium Member
17,890 Posts
...temp fluctuations could cause the springs to expand/contract so the length and therefore delay time/sound in general would not be consistent from tank to tank made at different times of year (or even day to day)
Wouldn't that all be somewhat redundant once it left the factory?

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another cool score by Frenchie. And I bet he paid next to noffin for it too. Happy birthday indeed. That one at least should be easy to hide; smaller than your usual purchases.
Taking out the wife for super cost more !!! :cool:

Yep! found a hole for it... lol;)

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anything from having HVAC (back then not so standard) - e.g. temp fluctuations could cause the springs to expand/contract so the length and therefore delay time/sound in general would not be consistant from tank to tank made at different times of year (or even day to day) - to clean room (which would be total overkill since the things aren't hermetically sealed).
A room full of beautiful woman would definitely cause my spring to expand/contract back then !!! :confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Wouldn't that all be somewhat redundant once it left the factory?
I see why that would be the first thought to come to mind but no. Think about it this way, yes, if you take your amp somewhere else it'll be affected by temp change, but if it stays in your jam space it remains relatively constant. Now replace the tank and you risk no longer liking your reverb sound (if the spring length is not measured in a consistent environment). I doubt the difference would be that drastic but considering WI, there's a rather large difference in temp between peak summer vs winter so quite possible to make audible diff if you had 2 tanks made at those opposite times of year without such control. It's not about consistent performance in any environment, it's about tank to tank consistency given the same environment they are being used in.

Same reason there's a sticker on gas pumps saying "volume corrected to 15 degrees" - so you don't get jipped in the summer and free gas in the winter (or so prices don't have to fluctuate wildly to compensate).

Reactions: greco

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey G.G. look at this... My new Rev 3 is exactly the same as the Rebel Reverb head ! :eek:

How cool is that ? ;)

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
Im up to 3 times so far in the last week !!! :D
I have a car that I tell myself I’m gonna sell every time I buy some expensive gear. It’s about due for another outing although the car has been sold so many times that I don’t really need anymore expensive music stuff from here to eternity.

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Hey G.G. look at this... My new Rev 3 is exactly the same as the Rebel Reverb head ! :eek:

How cool is that ? ;)
Huh. I always thought the timing was weird. The Rev III (combo only) came out in 72 - the same time as the Rebel II which was head only (the Rebel came out much earlier and was apparently also still available). So It would appear that the Rev III started out as the combo version of the Rebel II... and then by the time the Rev III head came out in 74 the Rebel II also had a combo version. My conjecture here is that by this time the Rev III was dual channel so they were no longer the same amp therefore necessitating both having a head and combo versions. That's born out by the link I posted above to a factory Rev III head auction (I still can't believe that went for US$750).

But yours is an older Rebel right? So same chassis/general layout but not the same amp because (except for the PA version) they were 6V6 based vs 6L6 like Rebel IIs and RevIIIs.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Man I miss my old Garnet. It went to the dump for want of a retube because the local music store advised me that the future was solid state and I could buy a new amp for less than the retube. In those days you actually drove into the dump and got rid of your own stuff. I can still see, clear as day, standing in the back of the pickup and tossing my baby in a high-arc onto a pile of old car parts and mattresses. It was like I killed a child that day :(

·
Premium Member
25,178 Posts
Congratulations and Happy Birthday (again)!

If your amp was made in 1972, the beautiful girls in Milton, Wis. are now likely retired from "Folded Line"

View attachment 234574
Well how the heck do you expect them to remain beautiful if they're all sweated up and grimy from the work, Dave? "Controlled atmosphere conditions" means they have air-conditioning at the plant. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts