The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

NAD - Fender 57 Custom Champ

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  RYAN1987M 
#1 ·
NAD - Fender 57 Custom Champ

I’ve had the Champ for about two weeks now and I’m absolutely thrilled with it!

I’m having a blast plugging straight into the Champ and think that it sounds fantastic. I’m still in the process of breaking in the speaker, but it sounds very nice already (and I’m sure it’ll only continue to sound better as time goes on). I really enjoy the clean tones with all of my Telecasters and it’s definitely fun to get natural drive by setting the amp to 6 or 7 (out of 12). The sound is fairly distorted at that point and it sounds incredible. It sounds fine dimed (very loud!) but I think it sounds better, and still plenty crunchy, when the Champ is set below 8 (out of 12).

The real surprise to me is how great the amp sounds at about 4 (out of 12) – the cleans really are inspiring. I don’t find the amp boxy-sounding in the least. In fact, when I’ve plugged in my pedals, I’ve not felt the need to engage reverb. And I think the natural EQ’ing of the amp is spot-on. I do have the amp raised off the ground, on a wooden end table, and have the open back of the cabinet about a foot away from a corner.

Perhaps shallowly, I was on the lookout for a small Fender amp covered in tweed. I was looking at the Fender Pro Junior IV and the Fender 57 Custom Champ. Although they’re nothing alike, I personally felt that the quality – both sound and build – of the Champ exceeded the Pro Jr enough to justify the cost of the Champ.

See less See more
#12 ·
I've been thinking about ordering the Maple Rock tweed board for a bit over a year now, but haven't yet pulled the trigger.

What size board did you order?

What are your thoughts on the construction? Accessibility for pedal setups and power supply, etc?

You have essentially created the board and amp setup that I was thinking of, but I was going to go with the tweed Blues Jr IV.

#13 ·
I have nothing but positive stuff to say about Maple Rock and Larry (the Owner).

I ordered the 9x30 board as I prefer a simple single row. I also elected to forgo the carpeted top and instead went with the exposed wood.

The construction is bulletproof - really solidly put together. Solid birch and well joined. Everything seems to be very well put together and I have no doubts about its road-worthiness.

I have the CS-12 mounted underneath - there is plenty of room for it to breathe and I find it simple to access. I also find the routing on the top of the pedalboard makes cable management very easy. I did buy a few adhesive anchors and zipties which I use to keep things really tidy underneath.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

#15 ·
I have nothing but positive stuff to say about Maple Rock and Larry (the Owner).

I ordered the 9x30 board as I prefer a simple single row. I also elected to forgo the carpeted top and instead went with the exposed wood.

The construction is bulletproof - really solidly put together. Solid birch and well joined. Everything seems to be very well put together and I have no doubts about its road-worthiness.

I have the CS-12 mounted underneath - there is plenty of room for it to breathe and I find it simple to access. I also find the routing on the top of the pedalboard makes cable management very easy. I did buy a few adhesive anchors and zipties which I use to keep things really tidy underneath.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!
That's awesome. Thank you for responding and giving me your take. I've been drooling over these online for a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.