The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a look at some adds last night and feel on this amp... The guy was asking very little for it since the amp needs a cap job and major cleaning.... others had contacted him but I was the only one that asked if I come over right away ( it was 10 PM)...

Here are the ADD Pics:

Went over and was advised the amp was bought in 1970, one owner, he did about 150 shows with it, the amp was then left in the basement not in use, he tried it 5 years ago, started to make lots of noise and hum... knows all the caps needs replacing ( normal in these Japan heads ) The owner is a major extra heavy smoker... This entire amp is covered in nicotine... the nicotine is actually dripping off the amp... the nicotine was dripping off the walls at his home also...:confused:

The amp works, just after warm up, starts to make noise... I negotiated with him some more ( the part I like the most... ;)) and came home with the amp.... :D

Man this thing smells bad...

I left the cab in the back on my truck last night and just brought the head inside... the smell of the head actually woke up the wife%h(*& and she made me put it outside in the shed so much it stank... Then I got the reg routine...Why another one ...:rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This morning it was raining so set myself up on the balcony to do a major clean up on this thing or this thing will never enter the house... :rolleyes:

Some quick pics of the head before cleaning...

Notice that the knobs are golden.... There are not in real life !!! :confused:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me show you the cab now !...

The brown stuff is nicotine !!! I had to wash and Febreze the trunk of my truck to get the smell out !!!:confused:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... the cleaning began.... and this is only to be able to bring it in... lol

Just washing the exterior of the head, needed to change my water 4 times...

Also went inside since need to get all the smell...

Transformers..

Rectifier...

and to my surprise, USA made Philips 6CA7 power tubes !

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hid the cab ... ( the wife didn't see it yet... ) :rolleyes:

The head can now come inside without any worries... ;)

Now to make a list of caps to bring her back to her glory !!! :)

She will get more attention later on ...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Wow. I love adventures like that. I once went to get a Garnet head. When I got there, he had a 2x12 cab with it. It was included in the price. He just never took any pictures of the cab.

Anyway it's nice when you score an old gem and bring it back to glory. Nicely done.

Reactions: Frenchy99

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Ha! Man, you always seem to snag the deals I almost get. I was a hair away from jumping on this as well.
My wife would not tolerate a stinky amp anywhere near the house so I am glad I passed.
You are lucky the tubes are "normal" some of these Elk amps have very weird tubes and even sockets.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. I love adventures like that. I once went to get a Garnet head. When I got there, he had a 2x12 cab with it. It was included in the price. He just never took any pictures of the cab.
Funny, when I bought my Garnet Rebel head it too came with a cab that I was not aware ...

Anyway it's nice when you score an old gem and bring it back to glory. Nicely done.

Thanks, having fun restoring amps lately...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha! Man, you always seem to snag the deals I almost get. I was a hair away from jumping on this as well.
This add was posted in the morning, I was surprised it was still available at 10 PM !!! :eek:

My wife would not tolerate a stinky amp anywhere near the house so I am glad I passed.
This thing was filthy ...:confused: But a gem underneath ! ;) I don't mind the clean ups, you get to know the amp better.

You are lucky the tubes are "normal" some of these Elk amps have very weird tubes and even sockets.
I took a look on the net before contacting him... I don't like surprises.. bad caps are one thing...:)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
"the nicotine is actually dripping off the amp... the nicotine was dripping off the walls at his home also...:confused:"
I'm a smoker and that grosses me out:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
Nice score. Again. You lucky bastard.

Feel ya RE the nicotine stains. Had this contractor at work who brought her comp in every year because it wasn't working. The reason was all the cigarette tar gumming up the insides; instead of reinstalling everything for redeployment we just tossed them, cuz there was no bringing it back and it reeked too bad. This was back in the generic grey comp case days. Hers came back golden brown. She just sat in her ( home) office chain smoking all day apparently. All I could ever think is 'Omg her poor cats.'

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
"the nicotine is actually dripping off the amp... the nicotine was dripping off the walls at his home also...:confused:"
I'm a smoker and that grosses me out:eek:
I' an ex smoker miself but never seen this extreme. .. I was in his home for 15 minutes tops... took me me 5 to get use to the smell. .. my wife made me take a shower and wash my hair once home...

Seriously. .. it was that bad... I would put him in the 3 packs a day minimum. .. plus his wife...

Take a look at the first few pictures of the knobs... the are gold... after ashing them 3 times to remove the nicotine, they were silver again which is the true color. ..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts