The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked this up yesterday on a grand slam deal. Cleaned it up, Deoxit treatment, and it is ready to rock out. This little thing is a heavy weight beast that punches like a 100 watter. Specs say it is a 39 pound grab and go monster. It has a 10 inch Red Fang alnico, Dr Z spec speaker. EL 84, and 20 punishing Watts that start off big at 9 o’clock, and pretty much acts like my Ceriatone Express Trainwreck clone, only darker, and mucho simpler to dial in.

Simply dial down the volume on the guitar to 2 or 3, to get loud sparking clean, and twist up for blooming sag.

It has some similarities to a Wreck, that hiss is there when the playing goes silent. It is almost a Wreck in a box. I am curious what Greenbacks would do.

Pictures
7DDEC126-206F-4ED8-9DEC-BEBBA02F9166.jpeg
61B31FDC-DBC4-444B-BA9B-BC10BBF363CC.jpeg
F073DFE8-2B4B-4005-A893-B6FA7F79E816.jpeg
31E0C347-D7D4-4144-9ADC-59896411F779.jpeg

It is still insanely loud with the Brake Lite.
It is 10 years old, still likely sporting the original JJ power and pre amp tubes. I don’t think that this amp was played much.
The Dr Z mods that are available for this amp would make it a more useful amp for pushing the tubes. PPIMV and 16 ohm out would be nice.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,193 Posts
Picked this up yesterday on a grand slam deal. Cleaned it up, Deoxit treatment, and it is ready to rock out. This little thing is a heavy weight beast that punches like a 100 watter. Specs say it is a 39 pound grab and go monster. It has a 10 inch Red Fang alnico, Dr Z spec speaker. EL 84, and 20 punishing Watts that start off big at 9 o’clock, and pretty much acts like my Ceriatone Express Trainwreck clone, only darker, and mucho simpler to dial in.

Simply dial down the volume on the guitar to 2 or 3, to get loud sparking clean, and twist up for blooming sag.

It has some similarities to a Wreck, that hiss is there when the playing goes silent. It is almost a Wreck in a box. I am curious what Greenbacks would do.

Pictures
View attachment 233900 View attachment 233902 View attachment 233904 View attachment 233906

It is still insanely loud with the Brake Lite.
Congrats on the new amp. All Zs I have owned were crazy loud for their size. I have found the brake lites generally useless for getting home volumes, they take just enough of the edge off to keep a sound guy happy IMHO. Anyways, I digress.... cool little amp, enjoy :)

Reactions: Tone Chaser

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
I don't so much find Z's to be loud as I do that they fill up frequencies very well. I learned this the hard way with a maz sr and my 100W boutique gainbeast haha.

·
Registered
11,697 Posts
Z's are great, especially the simpler ones. I like the 2-4 knob configuration amps, they get things done without a lot of complicated circuit BS. I also agree that they fill the frequencies well but I would say they are naturally loud, at least the ones I've had.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I don't so much find Z's to be loud as I do that they fill up frequencies very well. I learned this the hard way with a maz sr and my 100W boutique gainbeast haha.
Man, if you didnt think a Maz Senior was loud I think you may have hearing problems. Haha

·
Premium Member
17,182 Posts
Man, if you didnt think a Maz Senior was loud I think you may have hearing problems. Haha
I think you've missed all my posts about my band haha.

Reactions: Dorian2

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
Reactions: Budda
1 - 11 of 11 Posts