The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there CGF!

I just put down a deposit on a Princeton point-to-point 1x12 combo made by a guy in Toronto named Brian Luckhurst. I heard about this builder on the Gretsch-Talk forum. I reached out and he got back to me right away. He had one just completed and I went over yesterday to try it out.

WOW! One strum and just WOW!

Cabinet is being made by Derrick Bell, and he has already got it framed up. Going to be wine red taurus and black and tan grill cloth. Sort of along the lines of a Traynor YCV20WR. Note about Derrick Bell. He also got back to me quickly and answered all sorts of annoying questions I had.

Brian's work is clean and his workspace mirrors that too. He uses the original AA1164 schematic. He makes the Princeton's all with 12" Vintage 30s, and in a few power ratings. 12, 22, and 40. I opted for the 22 Watter. He is using Electrohome transformers. He claims they are the best sounding he has heard, and from what I heard myself, he may be right.

His price is awesome. Cheaper than a current Fender made with a flimsy circuit board. Point to point and serviceable. I plan on keeping this beast forever.

If this goes well, I am eyeballing a Moratto Bluesbreaker to cover the Marshall side.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Derrick told me about Brian when I met him in TO a few cabs ago, I meant to follow up. Please let us know how it works out.
Will do. I just asked Brian tonight if the unit I tried has NOS tubes in it. It did. I asked if those were a part of the deal. He said yes. I like this guy more and more!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Watching...

I never would have thought a V30 would be the speaker for a Fender, but my Blues Jr came with one and it sounds great. Excellent choice. Can’t wait to see/hear the finished product.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watching...

I never would have thought a V30 would be the speaker for a Fender, but my Blues Jr came with one and it sounds great. Excellent choice. Can’t wait to see/hear the finished product.
That was my feeling going in too, but the V30 sounded so good in his built unit that I didn't want to roll the dice with a different one. The guy that turned me on to Brian suggested an Eminence 1258. Says it is very Jensen like. They are only $80 so I may grab one of them and compare.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I like a well broken in V30 with 6L6 tubes and an open cab. Damn near perfection with a Telecaster or Stratocaster. My experience with other tubes in amps has been disappointing for one reason or another.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Definitely subscribing to this thread. I'm super curious to hear your impressions about the amp when it's all done. As for speakers, I can tell you that the Eminence 1258 is a great speaker, along with its 10" counterpart 1058. However, my ears are tuned to British styled speakers like Celestions, and Weber (British series), and I have them in all of my Fender style amps. To my ears, the Princeton sounds best with a Greenback in it, 10" or 12" for that matter.

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
Another thought on speakers for an open-back NVM amp: the Eminence FDM speakers.

I use a Maverick with my DRRI. At 22 watts, it is a little loud for some smaller jams and I find the up to 9 dB of attenuation the speaker allows is the perfect solution for dialing the amp in. Sounds good in that amp, too.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Electrohome transformers. Something new with an old Canadian name?
His Reverb listings say he pulled them from old organs or something. He warranties his stuff, so I am not worried.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update...
The cabinet is done and delivered. That was super fast. Unexpectedly so! Looks amazing!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amp build is moving along too.

DROOOOOOOOL!

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thought on speakers for an open-back NVM amp: the Eminence FDM speakers.

I use a Maverick with my DRRI. At 22 watts, it is a little loud for some smaller jams and I find the up to 9 dB of attenuation the speaker allows is the perfect solution for dialing the amp in. Sounds good in that amp, too.
I think I'm going to look into this one. That is A LOT of attenuation! How similar is it to a V30? Any idea?

·
Premium Member
12,190 Posts
I think I'm going to look into this one. That is A LOT of attenuation! How similar is it to a V30? Any idea?
Not much, IMO. I'm not fond of V30's but quite like this speaker (I have the Maverick) for this amp. The Brit voiced speaker (Reignmaker) may be closer to the V30, if that's what you're looking for. I have no experience with that speaker.

The tone changes a tiny bit as you attenuate but not in a bad way, from recollection.

Reactions: madhermit

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No website I am aware of.

Contact info
bdlmarine AT rogers.com

He is in the West end of Toronto.

I may have the amp this week!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts