The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Yes, it is fun.
Yes, it responds to tube changes.

I preferred the full 5 watt setting.

After a solid month of exploration and comparison to other amps that I already owned, the decision was made to part with a dozen good small amps. This happened to be one of them. It does something special that other amps don’t, but that was not my main style of playing. Also I needed space in a bad way.

If I found one on the inexpensive side, I might purchase it again to revisit if I have improved my playing to suit what this amp does better than others. Shane on YouTube makes it sound necessary to own.

Happy new amp day!

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
What tubes did you replace the stock ones with?
I have a stock pile of JAN EL 84/6BQ5 from the 60’s-70’s, and an assortment of similar AX types from the era, English, USA, and Canada origin. Various plate colours and lengths. Also a few original tubes were tried from 50 year old amps.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Belated congrats on the Amp. I was eye balling those at one point because of the lower Wattage and apparent decent sound. Any updates on what you've found sound wise so far @Guncho ?

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn't rely give a verdict till I change the don't know how many year old strings on my electric.

So far 5 watts is LOUD!
0.1 watts sounds underpowered.
1 watt might be good.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts
Couldn't rely give a verdict till I change the don't know how many year old strings on my electric.

So far 5 watts is LOUD!
0.1 watts sounds underpowered.
1 watt might be good.
I hear that a lot. People are surprised they can't dime a 5 watt amp in their apartment. I think the phonied-up home theatre specs confuse people. I gig with a two channel amp and the dirty channel set to 5 watts and play with a relatively loud drummer in medium sized pubs, barns, even outside - unmic'd.

Part of that is the 5 watt rating is at a lower distortion setting than I'm playing live, meaning the power amp is producing closer to 10 watts or maybe more. That, into a fairly efficient speaker can easily exceed 100db @ 4 meters.

Enjoy the amp. And disregard the 'name-brand' nay-sayers. While perhaps not the best built amps in the world, there's nothing wrong with the tones.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
I found the 5 watt setting with the volume down more satisfying than the fractional and 1 watt setting, when I owned the amp. However, the urge to crank it up some becomes irresistible.

I find that I am spending ever increasingly amounts of playing time with my 5 watt amps and amps that have 5 watt settings. This is often with the master volume down to an acceptable threshold level, or the Dr. Z Brake Lite on an appropriate setting. When I do bump up from 5 to 15 or 25 Watts, settings need to be reconfigured because it just doesn’t sound as good as well sorted out low wattage that has a better balance of power and tone.

The ears want to hear what the ears want to hear. Dialing in reasonably good tone is easier, but still not conversation levels most of the time. Sometimes it takes a little help from a few choice pedals. No complaints from neighbors, but I am certain they can still hear something. I am amazed at what I can hear going on through walls, closed windows, and real estate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts