The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about this in the effects section but thought I'd throw a demo in here, it is a 100 watt amp after all. Picked it up from @Loudlikelove a couple of weeks ago and the more I mess with it the more I like it. This is just a Strat into the board and Amp1, as you can see, and then out to a 1 x 12 cab. Really just wanted to show the versatility, and yes I'm the worst noodler in the history of guitar playing, fortunately i sound a bit better in the band. First half is just Amp1 and the second running some OD's into the clean channel. All of this was at very low volume, you can hear my pick on the strings and also hear me switching the Strat 5-way. I should also note that the gain level, which is common across all 3 OD channels, was only set on around 3, lots more gain available.

I still have to tweak volume levels on the 4 channels and wire up the board properly (make it tidy).

I've set it up so that the 3 switches on the Amp are assigned to each of the OD channels. The FS-6 then toggles boost on/off and also clean/OD.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I really like the idea of the BluGuitar products. I am the kind of guy who has sold off his whole tube amp collection in the past. I am much more hesitant about doing that kind of thing nowadays.

There seems to be no Canadian distribution, and only 3 sources from the USA. I am sure that would make things even more costly, unless you make your living with the gear.

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like the idea of the BluGuitar products. I am the kind of guy who has sold off his whole tube amp collection in the past. I am much more hesitant about doing that kind of thing nowadays.

There seems to be no Canadian distribution, and only 3 sources from the USA. I am sure that would make things even more costly, unless you make your living with the gear.
I have an Xvive Golden Brownie pedal that Blug was involved in, i love it and it was dirt cheap. It was the reason I was willing to give this a try and I'm really glad i did.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
There is info worth looking into on The Gear Page. The Anderson’s YouTube with the inventor is quite informative. It will make you want to dive into what his company has to offer.

·
Premium Member
17,336 Posts
Dave, I'm so happy for you!
Specifically that you found "your" tone(s).

Bonus that they (the tones) came in a portable and light weight version. Meaning....just in case you run into some stairs. You likely do fine on flat surfaces...for short(ish) distances. (j/k)

ENJOY!!

Cheers

Dave

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is info worth looking into on The Gear Page. The Anderson’s YouTube with the inventor is quite informative. It will make you want to dive into what his company has to offer.
He has a midi switch available for the Amp 1 but it's a bit pricey and I'm not convinced it would give me much more versatility than what I have right now. Looks very cool though.

BluGuitar - Home of the AMP1 100 Watt Guitar Amp

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
If you got almost 50 minutes, here is an Anderton's interview and demo with Blug...

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
BluGuitar products have made an agreement at the last NAMM, to start distribution sometime in the second half of this year. The have to undergo CSA certification and it will be the newer Mercury edition of the Amp 1. They did not tell me who will be distributing, just to be patient.

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Can you connect that straight to a pair of desktop monitors?
I've never considered it but there's a "headphone/record out" jack so that would probably work.

Home & Recording

At home, what you want is as vibrant and full a sound as possible at living room levels. With AMP1, a single 1x12 cab will do the job (the upcoming BluGuitar Nano CAB or FAT CAB, for example). If you just love the punch and overtones of a howling tube amp, you’ll need a PowerSoak to tame the volume levels. Using the REMOTE1 foot controller, you can operate AMP1’s integrated PowerSoak within the home from anywhere between 150 mW and 2 Watts. If there’s no guitar speaker available, you can connect your headphones or home stereo to AMP1’s Recording Out port. Be careful with the volume levels, though! The Recording Out simulates the sound of a guitar speaker with a very elaborate 7-stage analogue filter circuit. In contrast to digital solutions, the signal is never converted, and therefore has a super quick response, with no latency.

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Looks like these are running $800US new.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
If I was just starting out, I would go with something like this.

But I don't see the point in replacing my current amps with it. Not at least until I can't lift any of my amps anymore. And I've already downsized once or twice because of weight. So it could happen. Replacement would be for convenience and not tone, I'm happy with the tones I'm currently getting. We are at a point where tone is pretty close to a draw. More a personal preference than anything, IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Heresy for a tube amp fundamentalist. Line 6 Helix HX --> BluGuitar Amp1

Reactions: davetcan

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
So how loud is it? I'm always suspicious of SS watts versus tube watts. I know it's totally the function of the cab, but if you plugged it into a 2x12" cab, are you really in Twin Reverb territory, in volume?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts