The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm starting to think that Friday nights late nights are the best for amazing amp deals !!! ;)

Came home last Friday after jamming all evening and the wife was asleep, was about 11:30 PM only so decided to mess around on the laptop and eventually got to the for sale adds... :rolleyes: Go figure... :D

And Bang ! land on this new posting that just came on. Im the first person on the add... so called the guy right away and told him Im coming over right away !!! :eek:

The seller sz… you serious ? its midnight ! …

Yep... I went and got it right away at midnight... at this price I know someone else would have...

I did not get to save the sellers pictures but here is what I came back home with at 1:30 in the morning Friday night ! :D

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to clarify... This is the Univox U-1011 Guitar Lead head at 105 watts with 4 6L6 in the power section and 6 pre amp tubes from 1971...

This baby comes from the original owner, he never really took care of it and for the last 20 years has been used once a year only... got real dirty and damaged since he stored it in his shop all the time...

So Saturday being so nice out with 38 as the temp... took it out back for a wash and inspection...

The cab is the Univox U1205 which is a 212 cab but usually was sold with the smaller guitar head.. not powerful enough and is a 16 ohms cab... the head has 2,4 and 8 ohms settings... hummm... bad match... :confused:

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seller told me everything works except the reverb and he never bothered to get it fixed...

So started to pull everything apart...

Decent construction on the cab...

Right away, got my first surprise... its not a 212 cab ! :rolleyes:

Got me a 15 and a 12 in there... plus only the 15 is connected ! o_O
The 12 is the original Rola speaker which are really liked...
The added 15 is a Jensen...

a Jensen LMI-152 bass speaker 8 ohms 100 watts... I think bassmans used these in the 60s ?o_O

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This U-1011 is not like my other one which is like brand new...this baby was left in damp areas for a very long time... some rust as you can see started to form on the transformers and reverb tank... plus... a weird surprise... have a look at the next picture, in front of the power tubes is the remains of a mouse that dried out after eating mouse poison and left overs of mouse poison !!! :eek::eek::eek:

Death by amp !!! :rolleyes:

This baby is real dirty..

After removing the reverb tank, found out why it was not working... one of the wire is broken off...

So started the cleaning process... all pre amp tubes are original.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gut shot...

Cleaned and scrubbed to try to get all the S%??& off...

Wonder if I can spray paint some of the chassis ?!? o_O

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will go and pick up some of that Rust Check Rust Converter for the transformers...

But after a small clean up, looks better...

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick clean up of the cab and head... put everything back together since had a party to go to yesterday night... this is what it looks like now...

Now I'm off to another party !!! :cool:

Happy C day !!! HNG^%$

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
Congratulations! (yet again)

Wonderful thread! Thanks for all the great pics.

You certainly are skilled at cleaning amps.

If I was buying that much gear, my wife might seal me into a 4 x 12" closed back cab!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
One of the reasons why I like these Univox`s is that they are dirt cheap... great line, powerful and very underrated…

These are basically the same as a Marshall Super Lead/Bass.

Here is some info on them:

The "Blue" or 2 tone series of amps were designed in America by Kenny and the late Tony Frank, the team of brothers who were in charge of service and amp mods for Unicord's OTHER amp line.....Marshall.

For many years Unicord was the US importer of Marshall Amps and Korg synth/keyboards. Up until Korg bought them.

Unicord designed transformers were used in the imported Marshall amps, because the company didn't think the Marshall transformers could handle the full 100 watts from the 6550 tubes (British Marshalls at the time used KT-88s which were lower wattage). Marshall of England eventually adopted Unicord's transformer design.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question is, does the rock out still?
It works !!! :confused:

Its been party mode at my place since Friday with people coming and going ever since … so did not get proper chance to rock it out. Cleaning it was a priority to be able to bring it inside the house , that was the main goal.

Plus 2 of the power caps are bulging galore... a cap job is on the list as well as a full maintenance once over. New power tubes is also on the list...

This baby is not done...:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Great score! Not only are those Rola 12s well regarded (I had contemporary Rola hifi woofers I used to make a bass 8x10, now sold), but those Jensen Concert 15s are also pretty nice (and wroth some money on ebay IIRC).

The amp itself looks almost as dirty as that Sessionman Vocal I picked up a while back. Remember about that Rust converter stuff for the trannies if you care.

Nice that the reverb looks like an easy fix.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great score! Not only are those Rola 12s well regarded (I had contemporary Rola hifi woofers I used to make a bass 8x10, now sold), but those Jensen Concert 15s are also pretty nice (and wroth some money on ebay IIRC).
Thanks on the info !

The amp itself looks almost as dirty as that Sessionman Vocal I picked up a while back. Remember about that Rust converter stuff for the trannies if you care.
I was thinking of your Session man vocal when I pulled the chassis out ! :confused: I went this morning to Walmart to get some Rust Converter $6 there for a can.

Nice that the reverb looks like an easy fix.
Yep, just a small solder job ! ;)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the weather only being 42 to 44 degrees here ! :rolleyes: Decided to take the amp out once more for more work ! :confused:

Between guests, pool, beer... was putting 10 minutes here and there on the amp...

First thing, contact cement was pulled out to glue the tolex back on the cab.

After reading on GG thread for the Session Man Vocal, went and got this for the rust on the transformers.

Pulled the chassis out again, here you see it before the treatment.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
First coat ! I used newspaper to mask off parts that I didn't want any product sprayed on.

Pool break and another beer ! :cool:

I then decided to use my Tire Care products on the tolex to rejuvenate it a bit... a face lift of kind ! :rolleyes:

Back to the pool ...;)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a few more coats...

I actually put on 5 coats total... you have to let it dry between coats and it takes some time to dry... This stuff is toxic and smells real strong... I would really avoid using it inside a house or garage... the fumes are real bad !:confused:

So after about 50 trips in the pool, 5 beers... this is what I got when I put everything back together.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts